After 25 38.46%
During 5 7.69%
Before 35 53.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Airplane Etiquette

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have barely enough leg space as it is, it's annoying as hell when the person in front of me does this. My knees want to murder these people.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.kneedefender.com/

This is what I use and they work. Be prepared to deal with the attitude of the person in front of you, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.

The times I've been seated in a emergency row exit has made world of difference. The extra leg space makes for a much more comfortable and relaxing flight.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I see no problem with reclining, I dont care if the people infront of me recline and the people behind me have the option to recline as well.

The real problem is when people sitting next to you push into my space that is much more annoying to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I don't recline. I don'y like the people in front to do it, but I figure it's their right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it really their right? Just because the seat is built to recline does not mean they have absolute authority to lay it in your lap. Cars are built to go faster than 100MPH, but it is not your right to maximize speed to the detriment of others.

Seats should be reclined if and only if there is no one sitting behind you.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see no problem with reclining, I dont care if the people infront of me recline and the people behind me have the option to recline as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 6'4" with legs a little longer than normal for a guy my size. Lean that seat back ANY amount and my knees are paying the price.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have barely enough leg space as it is, it's annoying as hell when the person in front of me does this. My knees want to murder these people.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.kneedefender.com/

This is what I use and they work. Be prepared to deal with the attitude of the person in front of you, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.

The times I've been seated in a emergency row exit has made world of difference. The extra leg space makes for a much more comfortable and relaxing flight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard that wedging an open laptop in the tray area works as well. I haven't tried it because I'm not sure how true this is.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:41 PM

I just got back a few days ago from NY. I was in the first row in coach. You know, the one with 5 feet of leg room in front of you.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it really their right? Just because the seat is built to recline does not mean they have absolute authority to lay it in your lap. Cars are built to go faster than 100MPH, but it is not your right to maximize speed to the detriment of others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it's nice, but I don't think he has an obligation to make you comfortable. The seats recline. I'm not in your situation. I'm not 6'4" and can understand your viewpoint but that's my $.02. If it's that uncomfortable buy a first class seat.

Something I've found recently is that Southwest, the discount carrier, has more legroom than American. so i've been flying Southwest recently when I can. Also, in general, the people seem to be more pleasant at Southwest for some reason.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The real problem is when people sitting next to you push into my space that is much more annoying to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I don't recline. I don'y like the people in front to do it, but I figure it's their right.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it is their right. Cars don't go 100 mph for a reason, because it's against the law. Everyone has the ability to lean back, and it's certainly accepted.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poster: Los Feliz Slim
Subject: Re: Airplane Etiquette

Do you go back all the way, regardless of the situation behind you? Like if the guy behind you is 6'4" and working on a laptop do you go easy on him?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 6'2" so fairly tall myself. If there is a big dude behind me I will recline proportionally to what the person infront of me has done, if they are 1/2 then I will do the same to compensate.

It doesnt matter to me if the dude behind is on a laptop or listening to an iPod. My right to recline is equal or greater your right to play/work on your computer. We all pay for the same amount of space on the plane and what you do in your space has no bearing on how I utilize all of mine.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cars don't go 100 mph for a reason, because it's against the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does law have to do with it? I go 10-20 over because I feel it is a safe speed for my abilities, not because of the law. I look out for cops because it is the law and I might get a ticket.

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone has the ability to lean back, and it's certainly accepted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anyone indifferent or welcoming of people reclining in front of them. To call it accepted is not true. To call it tolerated is somewhat true.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To call it accepted is not true. To call it tolerated is somewhat true.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're the same thing.