Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2002, 06:54 AM

Default Re: My name is a Tommy. I am a cigarette addict.

Australia, NSW

I pack of 25's = about $9

Most of which is state gov excise.
Old 02-12-2002, 01:44 PM

Default Re: aside to Zeno...

thanks for the input.

i have studied a small bit of philosophy, and i really enjoyed wrapping my mind around ideas and seeing where they lead. i have several friends who have degrees in philosophy, and we have great discussions about the most important stuff to the most trivial arguments ever. the important thing is that we sit and discuss and share ideas, and bounce them off each other.

as far as economic viability, that doesn't concern me as much. ideally, i'll live near a cardroom of some sort, and can bolster my meager earnings as a whatever (truck driver, teacher, 'sandwich artist', etc.) by playing a little poker.

as a side note, think about what school of thought the ideal poker player would come from. with all the bad beats and the long arduous grind that the game can be sometimes, i think that a sense of stoicism really aids in making it through the doldrums.
Old 02-12-2002, 01:52 PM

Default Re: the worlds last logical positivist says

i know what you mean about telling the difference. along with some other phil. classes i took an intro course (intro to aesthetics). it was like being in high school. you hear the gears in their brains just starting to crank, and get so excited when an original (if flawed) thought would squeak out of their heads. while most of the discussions were the 2 phil. majors in the class talking, and then the teacher trying bring the rest of the class through the discussion with us. it was fun though. i liked my ancient and medieval phil. class better though. i liked arguing aristotle with the proffessor. too bad i stopped going...

i have decided to get back into it, and for lack of a better place to do it, i think i am going to try to enroll in University of Illinois Chicago for the fall.

oooohhh. and i love kierkegaard. what a guy!!
Old 02-12-2002, 01:55 PM

oh yeah, baggins as in the baggins of the shire. i like frodo more, but...
Old 02-13-2002, 12:25 AM

Well done Tommy.

I actually have exactly the same story, I used to fight the cravings when I gave up smoking too, and came off 2nd best. It only took about 4 hours and I was smoking again.

This last time I stopped, I accepted the cravings, and I now have not had a cigarette for 8 months.

I was a big coffee drinker too, and I gave that up about 2 weeks after I gave up smoking. It is not so hard after all.

That is probably the path to giving up gambling too, but I choose to gamble, because what else would there be in life for me.

Old 02-13-2002, 01:14 AM

Stoicism! I mentioned this very thought in a previous thread (Tilted "who was that guy anyway")in this same forum. So I obviously agree with you.

Best Regards,

Zeno
Old 02-13-2002, 09:19 PM

Default Congrats Tommy *NM*

Old 02-14-2002, 01:22 AM

Sounds like a good friend.

Old 02-14-2002, 01:50 PM

i must have forgotten, or overlooked it or something.