Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: anyone else pissed off at that rapper for saying bush doesnt care.

[ QUOTE ]
He made a straw man argument because it's easier than addressing your comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I think his point was that ghettos / black poverty were problems before Bush. BTW, I don't think Bush is racist at all. He put two African Amer. in high positions in his administration in Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell. I do think however, that the federal response to the Hurricane and its victims was deplorable and Bush deserves some blame for that, but I don't think his motives were racist. Obviously, Kanye West was speaking out of pain and frustration.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess the government (Bush) handing out free $2,000 debit cards is nothing right?

I guess you already know that the day after the Hurricane Bush was in Louisiana with a plan for the federal government to step in and start cleaning up this mess but was told by the Louisiana governor that they would need 24 hours to "think about it."

No matter how you feel about it, the man picked a bad time and place to say what he did.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of propaganda is this? He's the President. I'll be damned if I'm the president and I tell somebody to do something and they tell me, "I'll think about it."

[/ QUOTE ]

Give Bush a break. He probably just didn't realize that Louisiana is one of our 50 states.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What a rediculous statement. I never said nor implied that the ghettos were created by Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said, if you disagree with the fact that bush doesn't care about blacks go live in a ghetto for a year and then lets talk. Ghettos have been bad to live in long before Bush was ever president and have been around in some form for long before this country was even created. They are a fact of life. Yet your statement very strongly implies that Bush is somehow responsible for the bad living conditions in the ghetto. Therefore my statement was not ridiculous in any way.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Give Bush a break. He probably just didn't realize that Louisiana is one of our 50 states.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH
Old 09-08-2005, 09:04 PM

Bush, as the chief executive of the US is ultimately responsible for how federal agencies carry out their duties. The buck stops there. The man takes zero responsibility for anything bad that happens, yet he's the most powerful person in the country--hardly seems fair.

FEMA didn't think that the levee would break (despite serious warnings from engineers), didn't have disaster relief efforts in position before the hurricane (despite many days warning), didn't consider the need to evacuate tens of thousands of people that were essentially immobile, and could generally be regarded as incompetent in the relief effort. A large group of Canadians arrived to help before the major part of US operations made it to the Gulf Coast. That's disgraceful.

Due to budgetary and strategic decision-making, considerably smaller amounts of money went to FEMA to work on disaster relief, much more proportionally went toward fighting terrorist efforts. Having final veto power essentially put Bush in charge of the budget.

This was a [censored] up of colossal proportions and there is a reason there's going to be a congressional inquiry into the matter--and it's not standard policy for Congress to just investigate any old thing, particularly when the legislative branch is run by the same party as the executive (who blew the relief efforts). There's a reason the governor of Louisana was essentially furious with Bush for a time. Probably only stopped being so mad when Bush told her she needed to calm the [censored] down if she wanted any help.

Perhaps the lamest, most short-sighted thing here was to build a large city in an area frequently hit by hurricanes below sea level and dependent upon man made structures to remain above water and not expect disaster to eventually strike.

2000 debit cards is a token gesture at best to people that have lost everything they have, including their jobs.

And when you're floating face down in those filthy waters, dead, 2000 bucks isn't even going to afford you a nice funeral.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:10 PM

Saying that Bush created ghettos is certainly different from saying Bush is responsible for the living conditions in ghettos which is again different from saying that Bush could take various steps such as inproving the school, making it hard to obtain firearms, improving the conditions of run down houses, etc (which he obviously hasn't)to improve these ghettos.

That's quite the runon sentense I have there. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 09:19 PM

That's Bush's fault. He's been a terrible example for good grammar, at least in unedited pubhlic appearances.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:53 PM

Not pissed off, but Kanye probably picked a bad spot here.

The "Bush doesn't care about black people" thing is debatable. On one hand, the post-hurricane efforts were terribly inadequate, but I think you have to spread blame between the city, the state, and the Feds. Amongst the Feds, the blame has to be spread between Bush and FEMA. So, he can take a part of a part of the blame, but not all of it.

I'd agree with him more if he said that FEMA and the Louisiana folks didn't care about black folks either...but that's too simplistic. I think the poor part contributed to the indifference than the race part. Given that racism contributes to poverty, I think's it's spot on to say racism indirectly contributed to the poor response, but a direct effect is more tedious to prove.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
who gives a [censored] if FirstBase didn't know Kanye's name? i am sick of every [censored]' celebrity using their celebrity as a platform to speak their ill advised mind. it wasn't the time or the place.

when things go wrong you support your people, sure you can hate bush or whoever else you think is the problem [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] but that doesnt really matter when it's going down, what matter's is the problem at hand and helping the people. just like during war everyone is quick to judge a president rather than support our troops and pray for them to come home safely. after the war you can say whatever the [censored] you want, until then you are an american and you support them and shut the [censored] up.

kanye is a moron and doesn't know [censored]. flame me if you want but are we really going to listen to kanye's words? come on, he is a musical mastermind that comes up with sick beats and p diddy lyrics.

anyway, i wish people would just stop using their celebrity status to show how [censored] stupid they really are.

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of "my country, right or wrong" attitude disturbs me immensely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. This kind of blind following of authority nauseates me.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:18 AM

Or, maybe he notices that Louisiana has a distinctly French heritage.