Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 12:42 AM

Default Re: thinking about going into isolation

I think you should bring a cot. sleeping on the ground for that long would really suck.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Since you're bringing your dog be sure you have all of his shots necessary, and is currently on frontline or other pest control. Is your dog extremely reliable in an off lead situation? You still might want to keep him on lead your first few days as I'm sure he probably has less camping experience than you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good stuff thanks. I'll definently have to beef up the parasite control I think. He's weird because he never gets any fleas and I dont put anything on him.

He's very good off his lead when im around. Id still bring it though when I cant keep an eye on him.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

He can always leave if he doesn't want to stay there for three weeks, right?

Plus, from what I can tell, the challenge of it is one of the main reasons he is interested in doing this. Two weeks doesn't sound bad to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will still be a mess. He needs to go on a few weekend warrior trips and find out what he likes. He will also find out what shoes fit him well, what equipment he doesn't like, what equipment he needs, the list is endless.

Also, there are a ton of great parks in his area and they vary widely. He's got coastal, harsh and crazy NW territories in canada, mountains, hills, all sorts of crap to do. He needs to try them out, find out what kind of expedition he likes, and then go from there. This is especially true if he's doing something without a guide. If he wants to go crazy on the very first time I suggest he signs up with outward bound.

http://public.obusa.net/obpub/catreq/obn/obncrq1.asp

http://www.outwardboundwilderness.org/

Or he could find some local outdoor group like the NSS.

Camping + No experience = Bad time or Dangerous situation

P.S. one of my favorite trips is canoeing w/ people 60 miles away from an electrical outlet at boundary waters. You don't have to carry your equipment and it's still very rugged.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:46 AM

I just got done camping all across the US. the good news is oregon has some of the nicest state parks for camping in the country. you can get an ozark trail tent at walmart for $35, you don't have to waterproof it or anything like that, just set it up correctly. camping fees for oregon state parks are around $15/night. firewood is around $5/bundle, plan on using 2 bundles a night.

the bad news is it's pretty damn cold right now in oregon and you will need to have a good sleeping bag and perhaps a in-tent propane heater.

your other option is staying in a yurt, which is sort of like a basic cabin and costs around $25/night. they are great but you will need to reserve ahead especially on the weekend. any state park in oregon will give you a booklet telling you about every park there is in oregon, including if the site has yurts and if so how many.

you won't need to reserve a campsite ahead of time as the parks are not crowded. I camped and hiked the whole oregon coast, so PM me if you want more info.

camping for 3 weeks is not really that big a deal. if you were backpacking or cycling you would have to do a lot more planning. make sure to bring plenty of water, newspaper, and a good flashlight. if I were you I would plan on camping 3 nights and staying in a yurt or cabin every 4th night if you are not used to camping.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should bring a cot. sleeping on the ground for that long would really suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better:
http://www.thermarest.com/

I don't need one though. I just use moss or pile up leaves if my back hurts which is very rare. See this is the [censored] he needs to find out.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:51 AM

You essentially want him to play it safe, thus defeating at least half the purpose of the entire thing.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the Ozarks in November.

[/ QUOTE ]

One note, as I'm from the Ozarks.

Harvest is over (almost) and the 'farms' are probably deserted or about to be.

But in the Ozark National Forest, as in National Parks and Forests in Cali and I imagine Oregon, you don't want to get too far off the beaten path. You don't want to run across any dope growers. You will disappear. I'm completely serious. A dog won't help. Just a word to the wise.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:06 AM

Ok im super excited now for the first time in awhile so this is going happen.

Ill start a equipment list and check it off as I go

Tent
boots
gortex jacket & pants
lantern
9MM -X
flashlights -X
gloves
long underwear
cooler-X
cot-optional

im going to go through all the links and pic some sort of guide in the next day or so. let me know if ive gotten anything
Old 10-31-2005, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Better:
http://www.thermarest.com/

I don't need one though. I just use moss or pile up leaves if my back hurts which is very rare. See this is the [censored] he needs to find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, ive used thermarests alot, ive never been impressed.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You essentially want him to play it safe, thus defeating at least half the purpose of the entire thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um.... no.

1) I want him to do something he enjoys.

2) Camping alone in the rougher territories, even with the best of equipment, is not what I call easy or safe for a noob.

3) He wants a challenge. Climbing Mt. Everest with the best equipment you can carry or navigating the Gauley in a Kayak is going to be 100x better than the challenge of learning how to sleep comfortably in his backyard.

If he wants to really "rough it" he should practce making fire with a homemade bow and read a bunch of survival and edible plants books. Then leave the bow at home and go to a tropical island with nothing but a bowie knife, fishhooks (no pole just hooks), snorkeling equipment, water filter and some string too thick for the fish hooks. That would be a challenge, and a fun one too.

Still, he needs to study how to do that [censored] first. ANyone that says he should go on crazy week long excrusions alone without preparing is on stupid pills.