Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Sunglasses

Glasses or no glasses, I don't really care. Just make sure if you decide to wear them that you go for a NON-MIRRORED variety. I've seen people tell other players what they were holding because of the reflection in the mirror. Ouch.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My only question is, since we know making fun of people who wear sunglasses has jumped the shark, has making fun of the people who make fun of the people wearing sunglasses jumped the shark too? Ah, the meta-game...

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely not.

Easily the best post in this thread.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:41 PM

I realize that the amount that they help you is probably not comparable to the drop in comfort level (loss of sight, having to hear the remarks about the sunglasses, etc.).

I agree completely. Not only does it look silly, but it has other problems also. I have seen countless players have to drop the sunglasses down to see the board, or question if a player in front of them checked or not. Unless they are your regular presciption glasses that are tinted, I see them as a distraction. They were silly before TV brought poker to the world, and they are silly now.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:04 PM

Well, that was my very first post.... I think I see what this forum is about....

I laughed a bunch - thanks! And to those few who answered my question - thanks!

A few responses to various posts:

- I think sunglasses have made a difference a few times, in a positive $ way.

- Goofing on those who goof on those who wear sunglasses will possibly never jump the shark

- If you can't pick up a tell at a low-limit table every time you play, I feel bad for you (and wearing sunglasses is more effective for picking up tells than for hiding them)

- You probably are gay, for real, you homophobe

- I AM Chris Ferguson; I'm just sick of the damn Oakleys and looking for something new

ptmusic
Old 03-16-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I recommend Ray Ban Avaitors for new players. Good solid Cop glasses, make you look like Ponch from CHIPS. As my game improved, I found they werent covering enough of my face, and the better players picked up on the twitch my eyebrows make when I'm bluffing so I switched to Smith Ski Goggles. I recently made the move to a Welder's Mask. I also experiement with Fencing Masks, but those with good eyesight can see through that. Go with the Welder's Mask.

[/ QUOTE ]

You joke, but I witnessed someone bust out ski goggles during an intense hand at Borgata a few weeks ago in a 2/5 NL game. Table erupted in laughter, and I do think the reaction ski man got from his opponent was useful. After the hand he put the goggles away and life went on as usual.

I wonder what the most over-the-top sunglasses gag will be at WSOP main event 2005? Last year the Jimmy Kimmel guy (Cousin Sal, I think) had those humongous glasses, which were pretty funny...
Old 03-16-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i regularly call out players and tell them they look like assholes at foxwoods 1-2 NL tables

[/ QUOTE ]

Meow..Meow
Old 03-17-2005, 12:29 AM

What the hell kind of shades have you been wearing that allow you to pick up extra tells? You might be surprised what you find w/o the shades.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:29 AM

The best glasses are the really cheap plastic ones with little silver studs near where the earthingies meet...like $2.00 blue's brother glasses. I found a set I threw in a corner of my room from a Bar Mitzfah gift bag 6 years ago and I brought em to a home game recently. Someone went all in to a big pot where my straight and flushed draws missed and I had 5 high. I put em on and fully intended to stare him down for a minute or two but he burst out laughing and asked if they were Bar Mitzfah glasses. I started laughing, said "damn straight" and mucked my hand. You non-jews might not know exactly how ghetto these bar mitzfah glasses are, but trust me they're comical. I think I'll bring my set to foxwoods next time I play 1-2NL with the cool cats Meow mentioned.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:30 AM

i wear contact lenses, and because i don't clean em enough, they get infected about one every six months (i know i know i'm an idiot)

anyway one time my left eye gets really infected and i wear sunglasses because it makes me look really stupid (one eye really squinty and burning red)

so i'm playing 20-40 and someone remarks about my glasses when i drag a pot

i said "i think you'd rather have it with me wearing them" and show him my completely [censored] up eye (it waters also so it looked like i was crying the whole time)

only time i wore sunglasses since i was a winning player
Old 03-17-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder what the most over-the-top sunglasses gag will be at WSOP main event 2005? Last year the Jimmy Kimmel guy (Cousin Sal, I think) had those humongous glasses, which were pretty funny...

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep meaning to stop at Spencer's novelties and pick up a pair of those old "X-ray vision" glasses.