Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Re: WTF is so hard about 3/6?

Lawrence, if this is the case, why does'nt all the 2+2ers
jump to 5/10? Why do they grind it out at the much tougher
3/6 when they can jump up to the fishier 5/10?
Old 11-14-2004, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jump to the $5/$10 if your bankroll can handle it. On average, with good game selection, it's better than the $3/$6 by a mile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree more. The 3/6 games are MUCH softer than the 5/10 games. I find the 5/10 games to be the 2nd toughest on Party, behind only to the 10/20. This is from someone who has played well over 200,000 hands at both 3/6 and 5/10.

-Brian
Old 11-14-2004, 11:17 AM

No need to be alarmed , me and Lawrence just giving advice that works for us....
Old 11-14-2004, 12:04 PM

I couldn't disagree more. The 3/6 games are MUCH softer than the 5/10 games.

I agree with this.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't disagree more. The 3/6 games are MUCH softer than the 5/10 games.

I agree with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without a doubt. 3/6 to 5/10 was the only level jump I made where I actually noticed a huge difference in play.

If you are a winner at 2/4 you should be a winner at 3/6. So either you are running bad now, or you were just running good at 2/4. But whatever you do, DON'T jump to 5/10 because a few clueless people said its softer than 3/6.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:16 PM

Its hard to diagnose this from this post, but from the tone of your post, and from the two hands bobdibble posted, I suspect that you aren't playing aggressively enough, especially in late position. Even though the blinds are smaller at 3/6 than other limits, there is still some value in winning them, or in winning small pots on the flop.

Also by being slightly more aggressive, your opponents won't be able to fold as often against your aggression, because they won't be as certain that you have something good when you bet or raise. Which means that they will pay you off more frequently when they have marginal hands, that have some chance of being ahead, or some chance of being dominated. If all your raises mean big pocket pair, or AK, then it is easy for your opponents to get out of the way, because they know that it won't be much fun to play with you. Raise some suited broadway cards, and include middle pairs, down to 8, or maybe 7 in your list of raising hands. At the right table, you might be able to go down to any pocket pair, but I wouldn't do that right away.

Raise when you are first in, raise when you are second in against a weak player. Vehn said it a long time ago 'If someone had told me to never be the second one into a pot without raising, I would have a lot more money today.' You don't have to go that far, but you should consider raising anytime you are going to be first or second in the pot, or anytime you have suited broadway cards in the CO, button, or either of the blinds.

Try that for a couple of sessions, and see if you are doing better.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Try 5-10 instead, sounds silly

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds silly because it is. A player who cannot beat the party 3/6 is gonna get murdered at 5/10.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:39 PM

Ummm. . . why not try a site other than Party for a while?
Old 11-14-2004, 06:19 PM

Default Re: A hand from tonight with you

[ QUOTE ]
Why didn't you raise PF? What hands did you put me on to call down like this, I undertand you have 2 pair, but still.. what are my range of hands? How many of those do you beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Many of you consider AJo to be a better starting hand than I currently think it is. I am trying to look at it differently, but seem to get screwed whenever I decide to raise preflop... If it is +EV in the long run, I will continue to work on it.

Regarding the rest of the hand, I did not beat a single hand that most rational players would raise with preflop. Although I didn't fill up on the river, I still thought it was worth a call.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Bet this river.. (I think.. well, I would)

You're right... Not enough people on river to fear a nine. Bunk