Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Am I a superdonk? ($50+5 hand)

Probably better? No, definitely better. Why are you trying to isolate for 470 chips when it's fairly safe to assume that you're already behind? You should want the third player to call and eliminate the shortstack.

You post this illogical play and then take an arrogant tone with people telling you that it's a bad play.

I call 100% of the time.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:40 PM

Aside from what has already been posted, I definitely think you ARE NOT up against any 2 cards. Mr. small has absolutely no FE and therefore should not go all-in with any 2. If his hand is worse than average he should fold and wait for the next hand which has a 50/50 chance of being better than average.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably better? No, definitely better. Why are you trying to isolate for 470 chips when it's fairly safe to assume that you're already behind? You should want the third player to call and eliminate the shortstack.

You post this illogical play and then take an arrogant tone with people telling you that it's a bad play.

I call 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you actually read any of my responses?

In every single response I say calling is a better play.

What I was responding too was the weak-tighty advice of folding here which one person said and others hinted of (that JTs is "crap", that it's awful, and that it can't beat any two random cards which is wrong). I don't understand how you can possibly say I'm arrogant when I post a hand for [constructive] criticism as a learning exercise when I admit clearly that I did not make the best play and myself and other posters explained why a raise does not work here. I also don't see how you call this illogical, as I explained logically the reasons for raising and the amount it was raised, and then explained the arguments for calling and concluded that calling was the best of the two options.

I have absolutely no problem with people telling me this play is incorrect because there is definitely a better play here. But posts like Citanul's and others, which explain why using important concepts that are vital to understanding SNGs, are much different than saying "JTs is crap and it can't be beaten by any two cards".

There is a difference between using constructive criticism to add to our understanding of SNGs and what axe was posting, which was completely incorrect and faulty logic and 3rd-grade insults.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
theforce666 calls (3990)

[/ QUOTE ]

Right here is when I go "fuuuuuuuuck"! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 05:54 PM

Ok, maybe I just misunderstood your tone.

What I read was a bunch of responses where people responded to you, and then you said that if they play like that, they must not be making money in SNGs. I just found that inappropriate that you post a play for criticism and then still find yourself in a position to criticize other opinions.

If you say that's not the case, I believe you. I'm not here to argue.

Back to keeping the thread on topic, there are a few reasons why I feel calling is the only acceptable play.

1) The amount of chips in the pot isn't really sufficient to warrant an isolation play. If I were playing the tournament, in this situation, I would be far more concerned with having the shortstack eliminated than I would be picking up the chips. Because of this, I'm just calling with all but the strongest of hands (AQ+, TT+), and hoping to see a threeway flop which eliminates the short stack.

In fact, as for hands I'm just calling with, JTs is among the most favorable, because it's the type of hand that can easily smash a flop which also hits the other big stack's holdings, assuming he's calling with high cards.

2) While JTs is strong 3-handed, I think it'll be the exception rather than the rule where you are ahead of the shortstack's pushing hand, so I'd welcome the help in eliminating him while his stack is short enough that calling with any 2 is acceptable. If you force out the third player and end up doubling the shortie up, you're giving him back more of his fold equity than I would like to surrender.

So, that being said, I feel calling is the only acceptable play with JTs given this situation.