Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Thanks n/t

Good site indeed.

There's some funny stuff there.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: The battle for the teaching of Evolution in schools heats up

I'm watching a rerun of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine which is dealing with this issue.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:35 PM

obviously you cant read. i never said it should be in a science class.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:52 PM

Default No, it\'s because of the Republicans

Wherever the pestilence of creationism threatens schools, Republicans are behind it. (The press often refers to these groups as "conservative" Republicans, as if to distinguish them from all the liberal ones). The same party that screams whenever "junk science" threatens profits has activists everywhere trying to force it down the throats of children. True, the smart, rich Republicans aren't keen on it, but the national leadership tends to keep quiet because the whole coalition is built on a symbiosis bewteen monied and ignorant classes.

Thanks mostly to Republicans, 19 states do a weak-to-reprehensible job of handling evolution in their science standards, 12 states shun the word 'evolution' and four avoid teaching biological evolution altogether, according to a study by (Republican) Chester Finn of the Fordham Foundation. Slate. GOP party platforms in Texas, Iowa and Oklahoma openly advocate teaching creationism. The "Contract for America" proposed to "strengthen the rights of parents to protect their children against education programs that undermine the values taught at home," which would include the anti-evolution drivel embraced by a solid majority of Republicans. (Polls show about 80% of Republicans favoring the teaching of the "scientific controversy" between creationism and evolution).

The national humiliation who calls himself President has not only failed to criticize the movement but has encouraged them by claiming the "jury is still out" on evolution.

Polls also show the problem is getting worse. America's failure to grasp evolution has nothing to do with shamans or even Christianity; evolution has found a welcome home in Europe. It's caused because the leadership of one party has consciously chosen to pander to the homophobes, Muslim haters, and religious irrationalists that dominate right-wing Protestantism in the U.S.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
obviously you cant read. i never said it should be in a science class.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some days I read better than others. I know you don't pay attention to case law or the amendments to the constitution after the 10th, so I won't address all your beliefs about the application of the 1st amendment. I will just say that teaching creationism as any sort of truth is religious training. Religious training isn't allowed in public schools. I know you don't agree with that and may not even believe it. But religious training isn't allowed in public schools even if they are funded by a sovereign state and not the federal government. Really. Also notice I said religious beliefs could be discussed in a comparative religion class. I.E. Some Muslims mutilate their daughters based on their beliefs, some religions like animal sacrifice, some Christians believe the earth is 6000 years old etc.... In teaching that the belief exists, you don't teach the belief itself. Creationists want to teach the belief of creationism as if it has some rational basis or objective truth. That isn't and should not be allowed in public schools. If it is allowed the courts made a mistake because it is wrong.

And yes, teaching it damages the minds of the children. yeah, I said it. Can you read that?

Edited to substitute "creationism" where I accidentally put "evolution." Maybe I can't read after all.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some days I read better than others. I know you don't pay attention to case law or the amendments to the constitution after the 10th, so I won't address all your beliefs about the application of the 1st amendment. I will just say that teaching creationism as any sort of truth is religious training. Religious training isn't allowed in public schools.I know you don't agree with that and may not even believe it. But religious training isn't allowed in public schools even if they are funded by a sovereign state and not the federal government. Really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally and completely wrong. There is NOTHING that says there cannot be any religious training in public schools EXCEPT activist judged legislating illegally from the bench.

[ QUOTE ]
Also notice I said religious beliefs could be discussed in a comparative religion class. I.E. Some Muslims mutilate their daughters based on their beliefs, some religions like animal sacrifice, some Christians believe the earth is 6000 years old etc.... In teaching that the belief exists, you don't teach the belief itself. Creationists want to teach the belief of creationism as if it has some rational basis or objective truth. That isn't and should not be allowed in public schools. If it is allowed the courts made a mistake because it is wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not wrong. It might seem wrong to you, but that doesn't make it so.

[ QUOTE ]
And yes, teaching it damages the minds of the children. yeah, I said it. Can you read that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and it further convinces me that I am right.

[ QUOTE ]
Edited to substitute "creationism" where I accidentally put "evolution." Maybe I can't read after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:18 PM

"Yes, and it further convinces me that I am right."

Most arguments have this effect on you.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:19 PM

because they are usually based on lunacy.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:21 PM

Whose?
Old 03-16-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's lunacy. Information is important, having facts about history and religion cannot by definition damage a mind, it can only improve it. It provides a basis to make a decision upon. Congress making laws that make this impossible (trying to keep all religion out of school) violates the "free exercise thereof" part of the Constitution that all the liberal idiots ignore. Further, the Courts do NOT have the right to legislate from the bench they way that have been. They have been incompetent at interpreting the Constitution lately.