Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which 2+2er has done the most drugs?
Joe Tall 4 5.00%
cnfuzzed 56 70.00%
Nate tha' Great 11 13.75%
bdk3clash 9 11.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Messianic Jews

[ QUOTE ]
Again, there are no Christians for Muhammed or Muslims for Buddha

[/ QUOTE ]

But, there are Jews that are Buddhist and practicing Jews (in the U.S., Jews make up the largest % of American Buddhists). And there are Christians (practicing) that practice some forms of Buddhism. Obviuosly, Judaism is much more conducive to Buddhism.

craig
Old 10-10-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's the latter. I wasn't even including women.

To be fair, though, although I criticize this behavior and bring it up, I know it's not exclusive to anyone. The reason I bring it up is that it's so sad that it's common among everyone, especially those who have been historically repressed and so, most of all, should be the ones who know better. But they don't. They just enact their own versions of the same bad behavior and thought patterns. It's sad that nobody ever seems to learn any lessons at all, and the bad always seems to be handed down through the generations. It seems that there's just no way out sometimes, as everyone hoards their hatred as if it were a special, unique prize and inheritance.

It's a shame that ethnicity is so often treated not just as a fact of life, and an often unremarkable and not particularly relevant fact of life, but as an excuse for bad behavior and ill will toward "outsiders." In that way, bridges just keep being severed instead of made, and the desire to think less of others and treat them worse because of the accidents of birth just becomes more deeply ingrained in society every day, man by man, moral capitulation by moral capitulation.

[/ QUOTE ]
excellent post. There are restrictions in Judaism on doing things that reflect badly on the religion. So as righteous as the people you encountered might feel they are, they're doing a great dis-service to the religion. It really bothers me when people do stuff that might somehow reflect badly on me. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Again, there are no Christians for Muhammed or Muslims for Buddha

[/ QUOTE ]

But, there are Jews that are Buddhist and practicing Jews (in the U.S., Jews make up the largest % of American Buddhists). And there are Christians (practicing) that practice some forms of Buddhism. Obviuosly, Judaism is much more conducive to Buddhism.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, the Buddhism was a bad example because I also know Jews that are Buddhists. I shoulda said Falon Gong or something like that. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

there are certainly as many, but they're less formal distinctions. An Orthodox synagogue and a Reform synagogue will have, to a large degree, the same service. The difference is mostly in the degree to which they follow the laws.

Messianic Jews are not really jews to most "jewish" jews.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, you're Jewish?
Old 10-10-2005, 01:43 AM

I was very impressed with that tradition, I don't know how many sects of Jews it is common among, that every year you apologize to those to whom you feel you've done wrong, and, if I recall correctly, ask for their forgiveness.

I used to work for an incredible arsehole of a boss who was Jewish, and at one point he said, hey, this is my religious duty and I believe in it, and I want to tell you that I'm sorry for the crummy things I did and said last year. I think he asked for my forgiveness, but don't remember, but he probably did, and if he did, I'm sure I did forgive him.

It was quite a humbling thing for someone in a position of great authority to do, and I found myself admiring him for it, even though he was still an arsehole. Hey, most of us are not perfect, but most of us don't even try to be any better. This guy at least was trying, and I respected him a lot more for that after he did it than I did before. I had never expected something like that out of him, and in life you generally probably don't expect anyone to admit they're wrong about anything, much less hope or ask to be forgiven. I wish this was a custom that everybody stuck to in every religion, or even secularly. It probably would do a hell of a lot of good for every soul on earth, whether you're the one apologizing or being apologized too. I'm glad in my own way for what he did for me, which was making it possible to carry less tension and anger around in my own heart.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's the latter. I wasn't even including women.

To be fair, though, although I criticize this behavior and bring it up, I know it's not exclusive to anyone. The reason I bring it up is that it's so sad that it's common among everyone, especially those who have been historically repressed and so, most of all, should be the ones who know better. But they don't. They just enact their own versions of the same bad behavior and thought patterns. It's sad that nobody ever seems to learn any lessons at all, and the bad always seems to be handed down through the generations. It seems that there's just no way out sometimes, as everyone hoards their hatred as if it were a special, unique prize and inheritance.

It's a shame that ethnicity is so often treated not just as a fact of life, and an often unremarkable and not particularly relevant fact of life, but as an excuse for bad behavior and ill will toward "outsiders." In that way, bridges just keep being severed instead of made, and the desire to think less of others and treat them worse because of the accidents of birth just becomes more deeply ingrained in society every day, man by man, moral capitulation by moral capitulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please stop injecting sad doses of clarity into my rollicking good times. It sorta takes the edge off. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 01:47 AM

Not jewish. I'm actually in a very boring class called "messiah and messianism in judaism and christianity" but this one is pretty dumb. Jews believe the messiah has not yet come and christians believe it already has come.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:49 AM

LOL, sorry. Didn't mean to stomp your buzz heheh
Old 10-10-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was very impressed with that tradition, I don't know how many sects of Jews it is common among, that every year you apologize to those to whom you feel you've done wrong, and, if I recall correctly, ask for their forgiveness.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually every Jew is supposed to do it in the week leading up to Yom Kippur. Even though you're praying to God for forgiveness, tradition states that God won't forgive you until your fellow man does. Kinda nice....
Old 10-10-2005, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jews believe the messiah has not yet come and christians believe it already has come.

[/ QUOTE ]
And that is all there's to it.