Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Draw to the nut gutshot and backdoor flush on a two-flush board
Depends too much to say 6 31.58%
Never, even if I get around 10 to 1 or better 0 0%
Usually, if I get around 10 to 1 or better 13 68.42%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: First Hand of WSOP 2005

The answer to this question is 'it depends'. That is because no one that answered 'fold' to questions 1, 4, 5 and 6 is good enough to make the money in the WSOP anyway, so they may as well fold and enjoy their ten grand's worth of tournament experience while they can. For all of these people, it is also correct to fold AA and, in fact, to fold every hand and just randomly wander around the room staring at the pros for a while.

If your goal is to actually attempt to place and/or win the tourney, the answer is to call with at least those 4 (and possibly 2, since it's kinda read dependent and my read on UTG is 'I'm a giant moron'.)
Old 02-10-2005, 03:44 PM

I don't know about the WSOP but when I was teaching my wife to play we used Sklanskies "system" and pushing was the only bet she made. The only thing we did diferently was start the system from level 1 instead of waiting. We did play a $5 sng (not a $10k MTT) but you'd be surprised how many times her AK, AA, KK and QQ got called by Ax suited or at best AJ/small pocket pairs... I know a $5 SNG isn't the same as the WSOP but if we talking about a player who is willing to push their first hand of the WSOP, their skill level can't be very high. As someone who isn't a favorite to win the thing, taking chances early (and often!) when I think I have the best of it (and prolly do with KK) is my best chance for a high finish. I wouldn't call with anything else but KK though as the push is as likely to come from AK as any pocket pair. I'm willing to take a 33% chance of busting on the first hand (and play the side games), while at the same time padding my stack enough to weather some bad beats.

Don't know about you guys, but maximizing my time at the table isn't really of any interest to me, and the only time I lay a hand that is prolly a favorite to win is when I think I am better than the majority of the field. I don't think I am better than the majority of the field in the WSOP and as such would have to take the calculated risks when the opportunity presented itself to me.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my read on UTG is 'I'm a giant moron'.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Love your read on UTG. Mine is the same. The only thing holding me back from insta-call is my memory of overhearing two guys talking before a tourney in Foxwoods a couple months back:

Guy 1: Dude, I'm so sick of bad beats. If I get aces early, I'm just gonna push.

Guy 2: Yeah man.

With that memory fresh in my mind, and no other read, I let the kings go.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:13 PM

Default My Take and the Real Answer to this Question

This question has been posed to the forum in many different ways probably 10 to 15 times over the years I've lurked and posted here.

The answer is this - if a player is open raising all in on the first hand of the tournament one of two things are probably true with the first one being the more likely of the two.

1. This is a stunt, somebody dared the person, some company paid the person or some endorsement deal was struck saying how it would be big joke to push all in, first in, on the very first hand of the tournament.

This being my assesment of the situation, I would definetly call with KK, QQ and probably even JJ, but not AK. No need to take AK against a random hand at this point in the tourney.

2. This person has absolutly no clue how to play poker and what moving in means. I find this option to be much less likely since I would assume 95 to 99% of the players in the wsop have some knoweledge of it's importance and some knoweledge of poker.

Of course, this option does make it more likely that the person has Aces, but I believe this option to be so Unlikely that I would still call with KK, QQ and probably JJ.

Despite this, these polls are very unimportant because someone moving in first in on the first hand of this tournament happens such an infinately small percentage of the time, if it has ever happened at all, that these questions are in real terms hypothetical.

And for the poster that mentioned Doyle Brunson mentioning this exact situation in his book, this is quite false. He talks about a situation where there is a raise and re-raise all in and in this situation KK should hit the muck as fast as 7 2.

Peace

Goodie
Old 02-10-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: My Take and the Real Answer to this Question

[ QUOTE ]
This question has been posed to the forum in many different ways probably 10 to 15 times over the years I've lurked and posted here.

The answer is this - if a player is open raising all in on the first hand of the tournament one of two things are probably true with the first one being the more likely of the two.

1. This is a stunt, somebody dared the person, some company paid the person or some endorsement deal was struck saying how it would be big joke to push all in, first in, on the very first hand of the tournament.

This being my assesment of the situation, I would definetly call with KK, QQ and probably even JJ, but not AK. No need to take AK against a random hand at this point in the tourney.

2. This person has absolutly no clue how to play poker and what moving in means. I find this option to be much less likely since I would assume 95 to 99% of the players in the wsop have some knoweledge of it's importance and some knoweledge of poker.

Of course, this option does make it more likely that the person has Aces, but I believe this option to be so Unlikely that I would still call with KK, QQ and probably JJ.

Despite this, these polls are very unimportant because someone moving in first in on the first hand of this tournament happens such an infinately small percentage of the time, if it has ever happened at all, that these questions are in real terms hypothetical.

And for the poster that mentioned Doyle Brunson mentioning this exact situation in his book, this is quite false. He talks about a situation where there is a raise and re-raise all in and in this situation KK should hit the muck as fast as 7 2.

Peace

Goodie

[/ QUOTE ]

this post ends this thread...move along, nothing to see here.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fail to see the point of these kind of posts. This situation never happens, period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Men the Master was busted out with KK very early one year by a guy that pushed all-in with AA, Men thought that no oen would push with AA that early. This is in the realm of possibility, especially considering 2500 next year.

Oh yeah which day1 was this?
Old 02-10-2005, 07:09 PM

or 44
Old 02-10-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I fail to see the point of these kind of posts. This situation never happens, period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Men the Master was busted out with KK very early one year by a guy that pushed all-in with AA, Men thought that no oen would push with AA that early. This is in the realm of possibility, especially considering 2500 next year.

Oh yeah which day1 was this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quite sure that it wasn't an open push from UTG or SB or whatever...it was probably a series of raises and reraises that got them to the felt.
completely and totally different.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:27 PM

I know I am going to get flamed. However, I know what the correct play is, but I have to wonder how many of would actually have the courage to make the call?
Old 02-10-2005, 07:38 PM

having Big Slick might change my play her, but if it is sooted, I'm in.

Thats truly scary...do you really think you are that bad with an avg stack??