Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: NFL running backs

BTW, there's no way Edge is the MVP of the Colts. WTF is that? Edge is a key member of that offense, yes, but his rushing yards are a byproduct of his offense. Edge rarely faces many defenders, because Peyton audibles half of the run calls into passes if there are 8 men in the box.

LT's also been good, but this San Diego offense was great last year when LT was hobbled with an ankle injury and din't do much all season. Drew Brees and Antonio Gates are key members of this offense as well.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alexander is not the second best running back in the NFL. He should be ranked something like 7th to 12th.

[/ QUOTE ]

have you ever watched football?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. And, I actually pay attention to the guys who aren't carrying the football sometimes.

Shaun Alexander is like Clinton Portis. He looks much better than he actually is due to an awesome offensive line. A few years ago, everybody thought Portis was at least a top 3 NFL running back. Very few consider him even in the top 10 now.

There's a good chance Alexander will be playing elsewhere next season. He will be exposed then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, do I disagree. Since when has the Seattle O-line been considered otherworldly. Emmit Smith ran behind a great O-line, but he was STILL a great back, just not the best of his time. He has 82 Td's the last 4.7 years, and I bet there aren't more than 5 players EVER that have that beat. Now, saying he's 2nd best isn't a slight to him, as LT is an all-timer, but Shaun is a great RB, and pretty easily the 2nd best MINIMUM in the game right now. Whether he is in the future, I think he is, but he may not be. Your opinion is yours, but you have zero numbers backing it up. Barring injury, I'll take a 1300 yards and 14 TD bet with you for next season for him should he move.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, do I disagree. Since when has the Seattle O-line been considered otherworldly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, a long time. Pay attention sometimes, k?
Old 11-28-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, do I disagree. Since when has the Seattle O-line been considered otherworldly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, a long time. Pay attention sometimes, k?

[/ QUOTE ]

One 4 time all-star and a 3 time reserve do not "otherworldy" make. There are at LEAST 5 other teams that have similar resumes. For otherworldly, I submit the 1995 pro bowl OL players;

Larry Allen - dal
Lomas Brown - det
Randall McDaniel - min
William Roaf - nor
Kevin Glover - det
Nate Newton - dal
Mark Tuinei - dal
Ray Donaldson - dal
Bart Oates - sfo

Oh, and nice wimp out on the 1500/15 bet. This IS a poker site. People gamble here, k?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:33 AM

Um, yeah, and most people consider Emmith Smith overrated, you know. I consider him great because of his durability, but he rarely had great seasons.

Walter Jones, the Seahawks LT, is the Peyton Manning of OLs. He is very likely the best player in all of football. He is the true MVP of the Seahawks. Steve Hutchinson is the Carson Palmer of OLs. Together, not only do they open lanes for Shaun to the left, they force people to overcompensate either opening lanes to the right or letting Matt Hasselbeck throw it to talentless WRs.

As for the bet: there are too many assumptions being made on my offhand remark for me to make a serious wager. First of all, it assumes things such as

a) Mo Morris will be the Seahawks RB
b) Mo Morris will not get injured
c) the Seahawks line stays intact

Plus, I'm a poor college student with little to wager.

Besides, even if my money's not at stake, my credibility surely is. Keep this in your favorites and bump it if Mo Morris is a flop. I doubt he will be; he's got a career ypc mark of 5.3. He ran for over 104 yards on 8 carries vs the Texans.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but he rarely had great seasons

[/ QUOTE ]

1992- 1713 rush yds, 4.6 avg, 339 rec yds, 19 TD
1994- 1484 rush yds, 4.0 avg, 341 rec yds, 22 TD
1995- 1773 rush yds, 4.7 avg, 375 rec yds, 25 TD

His 25 TD year in 1995 was a record at the time. I don't know what you consider a "great" year, but these three seasons fit the description in my book.

Also, while his o-line was great, Emmitt was the differnce maker in the Cowboys O. He was by far the most talanted and important of the famous Cowboys "trio". In his prime, Emmitt was a "great" running back. An all timer. Anyone who thinks he wasn't, is letting his post 30 performance carry too much weight in thier mind.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:45 AM

1992 and 1995 are great seasons; so was 1993. Why people are so hung up on TDs I'll never understand.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1992 and 1995 are great seasons; so was 1993. Why people are so hung up on TDs I'll never understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because being able to get in the end zone from the one yard line is just as, if not more important, than running for five yards on first and ten at your own 30. TDs are also what make good seasons great.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because being able to get in the end zone from the one yard line is just as, if not more important, than running for five yards on first and ten at your own 30.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's far less important. Being able to run 5 yards on first and ten is much harder than running 1 yard at the goal line.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:12 AM

Running for 1-yard TDs is overrated in the same way as closing games in baseball.