Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Re: An Example for You Chickenhawks

It's getting so bad that the Army is now offering 15-month active-duty enlistments.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:10 PM

Do you support firefighting, Grey?

When will you follow suit and enlist to be a local firefighter? If you support it and you don't sign up, you're a hypocrite!

Seriously though, this has to be one of the STUPIDEST posts and arguments on the Politics Forum. (Congratulations, Grey).

I for one am really getting sick of all the people who say they support firefighting but who are too chicken to go and sign up to ride the ladder truck. It's absolutely disgusting.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When will you follow suit and enlist to be a local firefighter? If you support it and you don't sign up, you're a hypocrite!

Seriously though, this has to be one of the STUPIDEST posts and arguments on the Politics Forum. (Congratulations, Grey).

I for one am really getting sick of all the people who say they support firefighting but who are too chicken to go and sign up to ride the ladder truck. It's absolutely disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]Firefighter shortage?

I think not.

Try again.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:58 PM

I oppose firefighting. I'm tired of placing the lives of our fittest young men in harm's way just to save some property that is probably insured anyway. Sure people die in fires sometimes, but that's almost always a result of poor planning on their part. Tax dollars currently being poured into firefighting would be better spent on educating the public about basic fire safety. With no firefighters, people would learn to be more careful, and the number of fires would decrease. Fires have been nature's way of renewing itself for millions of years, and we should learn to work with nature rather than against it.
I say let them burn.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NH

since being against the war, a "dove", is supported by attending a protest (according to some previous posters) wouldnt being a hawk be supported by attending a "support our troops rally"... that'd be fair. And Grey.. why dont you support peace by joining the Peace Corps, being active in say Doctors without Borders, etc.. or what the heck head over to Iraq yourself and try to better the situation (before you reply your $20 a year membership to organization X is at best luke warm support)

PS... Im not a fan of the war. However: I, unlike you, am not so ignorant to think that I should put the burden of action on the opposition just because I can. If you feel this strongly though Grey, and others, instead of sitting back trying to say "look Im righteous because I supported my stance with marginal effort... but you... you should go risk your life or else you're a fraud"... join the Peace Corps... do something man... PM me if you want info on joining; it's a great experience.
But, if you decide that by sitting at home paying your dues to the World Wildlife Fund every year is really making a significant positive change in the future of mankind dont attack those who take the same relative attitude from a different viewpoint
Old 05-17-2005, 12:45 AM

I posted this before:

I think the difference between some of you pro-war, and some of us anti-war is that you see war as a business, and enlisting as any other job . For some of us if my country is at war is because there is no other choice, and enlisting is not a choice, is a moral obligation to help defend the homeland. Clearly we think that there were choices to avoid this war, but you don't think so, then we expect you at least be more able to enlist.
Anyway, I wouldn't call you cowards, but hypocrites is about right.

David
Old 05-17-2005, 01:49 AM

Calling (those who support but do not enlist) "chickenhawks" has little or nothing to do with shortage.

The ridiculous notion that those who support something must actively participate in it (or else be cowards, hypocrites, etc.) has been discussed before on this board.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:23 PM

It is a tough spot. You are overall a proud citizen of the United States. You believe in your country. However, the representatives of the people have us in a bitter war and they need volenteers. You do not believe in this war, you do not believe it is just or right or last resort or defending the homeland or vital for our national security, but you also know that we cannot back out right now. Should you enlist anyway? Its tough.

But if you did believe it was just, right, and important for our national security, how could you NOT enlist with the need being so dire?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No only are you completely ignorant of the concept of war but you disrespect our armed forces at the same time.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:01 PM

Simply put, there are not enough hours in my life-or in yours, twowords--to actively participate in every cause we support or believe in. Therefore it is good that there are professionals in every field to do some of the things we cannot do ourselves.

As for your assertion that I have disrespected our armed services, you have completely lost me there. Whyever would you think such a thing based on my post?
Old 05-17-2005, 04:27 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, M :

Military service isn't just another "profession" -- like firefighting, garbage collection, or computer programming -- nor is it just another "cause" where you can toss a dime into a coffee can or put a sticker on your car and that's that. It is a committment of one's life to the service of one's country under a bond of trust. And unlike any other "profession", the men and women of the military can't quit their "jobs", either.

You and your peers have broken that bond of trust when it comes to Iraq. You lied the nation into a WAR.

You lied and agitated and smeared and misled and then lied some more until you finally got your way, dragging this nation by the hair into a war that has killed tens of thousands of Iraqis and over one thousand five hundred American soldiers.

You did this, M. You did it intentionally.

In fact, you are still here trying to beat down dissent against what you have done, tapping away at your keyboard and trying to come up with new and improved dodges to prevent people from holding you and your Republican peers accountable for what you have done.

To borrow your "firefighter" analogy : you are the equivalent of an arsonist.

And if it bothers you to have that inconvenient fact pointed out again and again ... well, too damned bad. Get used to it.

q/q