Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Negreanu and Jesus

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when Daniel told me he was sure the earth was less than 6000 years old

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just lost a lot of respect for D.N.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely not something that should make you lose respect of somebody. Neither side of science has been proven, (evolution or creation). I am a Christian who is a statistics major and because of that have looked at many different numbers as per carbon dating et cetera. I'm not even close to saying whether 'Creationism' or 'Evolution' is true, but in my research, both sides put up pretty good argument.

Most believe one way or the other though, and just because they do shouldn't lessen respect for someone. That's like saying "U2 is the best band ever." I say "No, Pearl Jam is" and then you lose respect for me based on opinions.

Just throwing this out there. Dont' really want to start a debate on religion/science, but I definitely don't lose respect for Daniel based on his beliefs.

Brad
Old 03-09-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, when Daniel told me he was sure the earth was less than 6000 years old, I suggested that he should take a look at the Grand Canyon, learn about carbon dating, or study astronomy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious??? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

This whole thing with him "turning" Christian overnight seemed a little weird to me but this is absolutely ridiculous.

I have heard Daniel has had questionable judgement in certain areas of his life but I didn't realize it extended to reality.

I always thought he was a great player and seemed like a nice guy but I have just lost all my respect for him as an intelligent thinking person beyond poker.

That and the weird entry he made in his journal about a black guy who gave him a ride has kind of soured me on this guy. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Great player but obviously not all there.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am a Christian who is a statistics major and because of that have looked at many different numbers as per carbon dating et cetera. I'm not even close to saying whether 'Creationism' or 'Evolution' is true, but in my research, both sides put up pretty good argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously there is no arguing with you if you beleive this but here goes anyway. I live in Hawaii and the island chain was created by a rift in the oceans floor where magma has been ooozing out for millions of years. In a sense Hawaii is on a giant island making conveyor belt. The most northern islands have eroded while the largest island in the chain, Hawaii, is furthest to the south and is still growing. There is a new island being formed,Loihi Seamount, as we speak. It is expected to break the surface within the next 100,000 years. For me there is no better proof than this. Take a look at a map and you will see what I mean. There is no way this could have happened other than through the tectonic plates shifting over the "hot spot". and this process has taken millions of years.

Of course you can say "God" snapped his fingers and made the world in 6 days or whatever but there is no empirical evidence of any sort outside stories in the bible to back this up. You could also say that he created dinosaur fossils to mess with our heads lol.

I kind of liked Sklanksy's comment about how "if" there was a God "he" would most likely want to hang with someone who actually studied physics and came to understand the work he did than someone who beleived what is obviously a metaphor in a 2000 year old book.

But I digress.

I personally have lost respect for Daniel for believing something that is so obviously false it is laughable.

Anyway.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:09 PM

I think it's funny that you see the age of the earth argument as equivalent to creationism vs evolution. While evolution requires an older earth, the two issues are completely independent. What band you like is an aesthetic preference. The age of the earth (to within a margin of uncertainty) is a scientific fact. If you can't understand the difference between opinion and fact, I can't help you. And yes, learning someone believes something ridiculous is grounds for losing respect for them.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:15 PM

While I tend not to trust strangers, you're going to have to expand on what you found wrong with the "black guy" giving him a ride before that statement feels acceptable.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, when Daniel told me he was sure the earth was less than 6000 years old, I suggested that he should take a look at the Grand Canyon, learn about carbon dating, or study astronomy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize that he was that kind of Christian. I have a lot of respect for the guy and he seems like a good person, but perhaps he should finish high school and take some college science before making those kinds of judgments.

I find it hard to believe that a top poker player would believe this kind of dogma in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Even most theologians believe in science.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:37 PM

From Daniels Blog:

[ QUOTE ]

The whole time I'm driving I should be worried that this man is going to rob me. If you watch the news all you will hear about is "Black man does this, or Black man does that." If you saw Bowling for Columbine you'd know what I'm talking about.

The media in this country just wants to scare you all the time. Be afraid of this, be scared of that. I just recently listened to a Chris Rock CD where he says something like, "The government wants you to be scared of Al-Quieda but I'm scared of Al-Cracker!"

But anyway, back to the drive I'm realizing how much of an effect the media has had on race relations in this country. If you are from certain parts of the south and have never seen a black man in real life , all you would have to go by is what you've seen on TV. If all I watched was the news in this country who knows, maybe I'd be a racist too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know he meant well with this entry but it just came off really weird to me, like it was a huge deal to be in a car with a man who happened to be black. He seemed to be really uncomfortable all the while patting himself on the back for being okay with the seemingly (to me) banal situation.

It just gave me some more insight into the way he really thinks I guess. The comment about being from the certain parts of the south and not ever seing a black person was odd as well. What south is he referring to? South New Zealand? Antarctica?

Sorry but I have just gotten a little weirded out by DN lately.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:53 PM

Prince is my favorite musician; tremendously talented. But his religious beliefs have no relation to rational thought, or scientific evidence.

Negreanu is a great poker player, but that doesn't mean anything he says outside of poker is worth serious consideration.

That said, I enjoy his writings. And as long as he isn't shouting "God is Great" while slaughtering civilians, I don't have a problem with his religious beliefs.

That said, once evidence is tossed aside, extremism can easily sneak in, which we see with religion throughout history.

Frank
Old 03-09-2005, 09:01 PM

easy there.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:52 PM

For the sake of tangential posting, I am compelled to spread the gospel of Republican Jesus.

That, and a couple of his more revered sermons.