Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Bad night at Pokerstars

[ QUOTE ]
The worst night I've ever had at Pokerstars, I lost $70 from my $140 buy-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, are you ever in for a world of hurt when you find out what a real losing session is.

Best of luck,

Colgin
Old 08-26-2004, 03:06 PM

1 (JJ) bet the river
2.(QTS) i'm capping the turn in this situation every single time. You played it well.
4.(AA) raise the turn!
5.(AJs) raise preflop.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:09 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I only started doing this badly after reading Small Stakes Hold'em. I think it is largely irrelevant to online play, especially the popular sites like Pokerstars and Paradise.

[/ QUOTE ]

ME: SB [Js Jd]
Player 1: Middle

4 limp in to see a flop, I can't drive anyone out so limp.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

good reading comprehension. man, Ed is just responsible for all your problems isnt he?
Old 08-26-2004, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'll take a shot

[ QUOTE ]
*********** Hand 5 **************
PokerStars Game #643641572: Hold'em Limit ($2/$4) 8 Players

ME: Button [As Js]
Player 1: UTG
5 limp in to see the flop.

<font color="blue">Raise or fold preflop, probably raise </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold AJs on the button to 2-3 limpers??

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh [censored], for some reason I thought he was UTG, and I didn't realize they were suited. I think my reading ability, judgement as well as overall sense of well being were all comprimised after reading the first 4 hands of that post.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:32 PM

datz ph4t y0.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy crap--I just noticed this:

The worst night I've ever had at Pokerstars, I lost $70 from my $140 buy-in.

Is this your entire bankroll?

Would you have played any of these 5 hands differently?

If $140 is your poker bankroll, then I would have played them like this:

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars Game #66666666: Hold'em Limit ($0.25/$.50) 10 players

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope he meant that he sat down with $140.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:13 PM

As others have said, go with one hand at a time. You will find the advice you receive to be more plentiful and useful this way.

Hand 1 - JJ is a big hand. You should raise preflop if the pot is unraised. Your purpose is not to drive people out. Your purpose is collect bets from crappy hands (like Q8o) that are way behind you right now.

Hand 2 - Some here would disagree, but unless this table was very loose and very passive, I'd consider folding QTs from EP. If very pots were being raised preflop, then the limp is fine. Not a bad board for slowplaying, but I find that most 2/4 players don't believe that a flop bettor has trips on that kind of board, so they will often call or raise, which is great. There is almost no good place to get away from top trips (and never when your sole opponent has only 4 big bets left). Tough luck.

Hand 3 - looks fine. This is just a bad beat. Posting these only serves to agitate the people you want to help you.

Hand 4 - I know you said that you'd taken a couple of beats prior to this hand, but you've got top set here. Assuming that your opponent has the nuts everytime you have a good hand will lose you a lot of money over the long haul. Ram and jam and ram and jam and ...Raise the turn and cap if opponent 3-bets. If he still bets the river, you can just call, although many here would suggest putting in one more raise. If he only calls the turn raise then bet if checked to on the river and put in one raise if he bets into you again (unless the 4th broadway card hit the river).

Hand 5 - You should not have let it go at any point. First of all, raise preflop. You probably have the best hand at this point and you are suited so build a big pot. You also wouldn't mind having your opponents check to the raiser if you miss the flop.
Cap the flop. You have no reason to think you're behind - I'd put your opponent on a weak Ace here. If he bets into you again on the turn, you can just call it down. Your opponent happened to have you dominated and flopped two pair to boot. Tough luck, but there is no good place to fold here.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:29 PM

We are talking 5 hands here for a loss of 17.5BBs...and that is your WORST night ever?

Either you just started playing poker within the 3 days prior to that, or you NEED to go buy a lottery ticket immediately as your "luck" is far superior to the rest of us (well at least certainly me).

On a serious note, don't be so short term oriented...5 hands will tell you nothing about your play and a 17.5BB loss isn't a grain of sand in the hourglass of losses even winning poker players experience.

Now onto the hands...

Hand 1:

Raise and 3-bet JJ preflop at all times from any position. You aren't raising to drive anyone out, you are raising because you likely (here almost certainly) have the best hand!

The turn brought your opponent umpteen outs and he hit one, that will happen quite a bit, nothing you can do...but raise/bet when you have the best hand (preflop primarily here).

Hand 2:

Rule #1 Trips aren't as strong as a set
Rule #2 Don't slowplay hands until you learn the ABCs of poker. Bet for value when you have a great hand, bet the flop here...why give free cards when just about everyone will pay one bet at this limit to see the next street?

You aren't supposed to get away from this hand...just call it down if you get raised. AQ/KQ/QJ are ahead of you, as well as any of the set making pockets. Put yours bets and raises in on earlier streets and slow down on the turn when someone fires back (indicating you are behind).

Hand 3:

Looks fine...call down. He could indeed have AJ, but a T is more likely as he obviously waited for the bigger street to pop a raise. This is a common play, get used to it...but calling down is best here as you hold an overpair to this board especially considering he has been bluffing frequently.

Hand 4:

[ QUOTE ]
A caller becomes a bettor and I feel he has KQ for the straight to crack my aces, I guess I have 9 outs to a boat and the other Ace, does 10 outs enable me to re-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is horrible thinking. You have top set here...throw in a raise on the turn or river at the very least.

There are two other rules often said here...

Rule #3 If you never fold a set, you can't be far off from playing it right

Rule #4 If you don't lose alot of money those times you have a set, you likely didn't play it right.

With that said, RAISE YOUR FREAKING SET OF ACES! Playing it the way you did in fear of KQ for a turned straight is weak-tight thinking and you will leave alot of money at the table thinking this way...as well as allow others to roll over you when you have better hands or even wind up folding mediocre hands THINKING they have you beat.

Hand 5:

[ QUOTE ]
ME: Button [As Js]
Player 1: UTG
5 limp in to see the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise preflop with this hand with this number of limpers (or without) 100% of the time.

This hand is a bit more difficult, the flop raise was good. The only way you could get away from this hand is if you were to raise the turn or river and got re-raised. I like calling down better, but this is player dependent.

What are the chances UTG would limp with A6s/A6o/Axs/Ax vs KQs/KQo (which the river brings two pair for) vs AQs/AQo?

What are the chances UTG would bet and 3-bet the flop with something like AT/A9/A8(turned two pair)/A7?

Quite a few hands that beat you here...but HU...calling down isn't too bad....especially if UTG is over aggressive or overplays his hands to try to push people off pots or bluffs too much. Very conditional, but there are many signs you are severely behind here...but on the same token, most of those hands are often raised PF.

UTG apparently doesn't raise (very passive?) preflop with hands as strong as AQs...unless he was going for a limp re-raise after it becomes multiway (which he didn't get the opportunity for since you did not raise).
Old 08-26-2004, 05:01 PM

Not comfortable with JJ or AJo?????

I respectfully suggest that poker is not your game.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:08 PM

17.5BB is my SD/100 hands. It happens a lot.