Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Many Random Thoughts

Thanks for the link. That looks like a good one I havent seen before.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:05 PM

Grunch,

How often do you play in MTTs a week? You even bother with satts into the big One day a week tourneys on Party or just buy straight in?
Old 04-22-2005, 02:11 PM

Since my tax fiasco drained my BR, I haven't played in a single tourney. Before then, I was doing 2 a week. I just buy straight in.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:18 PM

Grunch,

Has playing NL helped, hurt, or had no impact on your limit game?

The way I thought it might hurt is if it could cause confusion between any differences in strategies or tactics. Like if you were playing and studying NL and then jumped into a limit game and make a move that would have been good in a NL game before your realized, opps, you're in the wrong game for that move. I'm just speculating. Have you found anything like that to be a problem?

TomBk
Old 04-22-2005, 02:27 PM

I think its helped b/c it forces me to understand concepts more clearly. Like implied odds, for example. Implied odds are soooo important in NL, but much less so in limit. Playing NL helps me to understand implied odds better, b/c its so prevalant. Then when I switch back to limit, even tho implied odds are less important, I understand thier impact better.

I definitely can't play a NL game and a limit game at the same time, however. I get all screwed up that way. I've tried grinding 2/4 while playing the early levels in a MTT, b/c there's often very little to do but wait. Doesn't work for me. I end up doing bad things on both tables.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:30 PM

Here is a follow up to that post I linked to by eMarkM that you should check out if you havent click me
Old 04-22-2005, 02:36 PM

I've considered dabbling in tourney and NL play, primarily because it would stand to make me a better poker player in general, and because it might be a fun change of pace. My main question for you, though, is how are the profits relative to grinding out at limit for a player of your caliber, and what about for a player a little lower? Do you find you make more or less per hour in MTT's relative to 2/4? Would a player somewhat less skilled expect to make proportionally less, or significantly less, i.e., does the payout tend to go linearly with skill, or does it reward the top players much more?
Old 04-22-2005, 02:43 PM

I don't know if I can answer that question with any authority, becasue my sample size in NL MTTs is still too small. But my intuition tells me that the money is bigger in NL MTTs than in LHE. That's a double-edged sword, however. You can both make huge money and also lose huge money.

I will say this to anyone reading this who thinks they are comparable to me skill-wise in limit ring games: I think you have the needed skill set to start studying NL MTTs and make money at it. If you want it, you are now ready to go and get it.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a follow up to that post I linked to by eMarkM that you should check out if you havent click me

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Any links you have I'd be happy to take. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2005, 03:08 PM

Here's my favorite mtt post which I often read before playing a tournament (and then I usually tone it back a little [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ).

http://www.flopturnriver.com/phpBB2/...pic.php?t=2030