Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: How I Became a Christian (LONG)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we walk by faith, not by sight

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, excellent post, NotReady.

[/ QUOTE ]

When reading the forums, I usually just dismiss empty quotes such as this without giving them much thought, and just read the posts containing substance. They pull an obscure quote from someone's post and mock it without ever addressing what the person actually said. I always just figured it is someone trying to be funny with a witty one-liner remark. However, the consistency of such remarks make me wonder if people are afraid to reply due to inadequate answers, or they really aren't comprehending what they're reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have addressed NotReady's posts on many occasions. I felt his quote above summarized my thoughts on his beliefs quite succinctly, however.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we walk by faith, not by sight

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, excellent post, NotReady.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kid,

I don't think you should use sarcasm on this board - most people missed it.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:37 PM

Thanks NotReady.

[ QUOTE ]
C.S. Lewis once said his faith was weakest after he had spent time defending it publically. The reason is that for just a brief time it seemed as if the truth of Christianity itself depended on him and his abilities, and that can make the whole thing seem weak indeed. Because of that you might be better off not spending much time on this board. There are difficult and tricky arguments against Christianity and many people who would like you to "unconvert".

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your point here. This board is helping my faith for the most part, and it allows me see areas in apologetics I need to work on. My questions were somewhat although not completely rhetorical.

Regardless, thanks for the reply.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Regardless, thanks for the reply.

[/ QUOTE ]

YW.

I don't think there's any real danger, by the way. Having your faith shaken or called into question can cause some short term problems, but working through them helps in the long run. And we often make mistakes which can be corrected by debate and discussion. I've had a couple subtle changes in my thinking over the past year due largely to this forum.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:50 PM

"Thanks for posting this - I know it isn't easy to put something like this out there amongst the wolves."

And would you be saying this if his testimony led him to become Jewish or Muslim?
Old 10-10-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And would you be saying this if his testimony led him to become Jewish or Muslim?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see any need to encourage them. Have any Jews or Muslims encouraged him? Have you?
Old 10-10-2005, 04:14 PM

I'll rephrase my question. Do you consider it progress if someone moves from atheism to Islam? If no, how about Mormonism?
Old 10-10-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you consider it progress if someone moves from atheism to Islam? If no, how about Mormonism?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say it's progress as a general rule but it may be the right step for some. But all false religions are idolotry and I don't think that's any better or worse than atheism.

So I wouldn't congratulate someone on moving from atheism to a false religion. It could be a step closer to God for him, but it could also be a step away from God. I think this is something that is ad hoc, and only God and the individual know which.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:54 PM

Jeff, come further.
Power vs. Force

Peace on your path.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:47 PM

I’m aware that science can’t prove any of this. Should that discount everything though?

No, you should not.

Is it just because perception is reality?

It's all about needs.

Am I the type of person who needs to believe in something bigger than himself to deal with past issues?

Why didn't you become a born-again research scientist? The answer to this one is obvious.

Is God a crutch for me to deal with my problems that are just around for the moment? Is it just my addictive personality?

I'm happier for you that you aren't a down and out drug addict. We all have and need crutches, life is hard.