Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Which college should he choose?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I went to Pomona College of the Claremont Colleges in California.

Yout cannot beat the education, he would be able to play a varsity sport, and he gets to live in Southern California. Also, their acceptance rate into grad school is off the charts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe Pomona is the 3rd toughest entry right now. I'd have a backup plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

send him to Harvey Mudd!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 04:15 PM

I don't really know what grades/test scores it takes to get in where these days. I'm assuming his #s aren't quite good enough to get into the very top schools or the tough out of state public schools (so no-go on Harvard, Princeton, Michigan, Berkeley). If this is the case, I think he should look into the next tier of private schools. These would include Cornell, Northwestern, Emory, Penn, etc...
Old 11-04-2005, 04:16 PM

I agree in general about the school size issue. I went to both a large and a tiny school and I hated the one and dropped out. Big schools are a ripoff, essentially, the Wal-Mart of education. If he can't get into an Ivy League (big woop) he could try a good smaller place like Swathmore or St. Mary's etc...Of course I'd recommened my alma mater St. Johns College, but that's not for business majors! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Just my O-pinin.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I went to Pomona College of the Claremont Colleges in California.

Yout cannot beat the education, he would be able to play a varsity sport, and he gets to live in Southern California. Also, their acceptance rate into grad school is off the charts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe Pomona is the 3rd toughest entry right now. I'd have a backup plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

send him to Harvey Mudd!!!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

CUNY and F.I.T. are now accepting the class of 2010 applicants.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

CUNY and F.I.T. are now accepting the class of 2010 applicants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Baruch in the CUNY system has a pretty good Business program, granted it's no Wharton, or Michigan B-school, but it's still pretty good.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maryland seems like a poor choice. Maryland does not have a good academic reputatino (sic), why get good grades and test scores and then pay out of state tuition to go there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris,

While that may have been true 20 years ago before the Len Bias incident reshaped the university, or even 10 years ago when you were looking at schools, it's no longer the case. In fact, the 1350 SAT may be below average for incoming out-of-state students at UMCP. In the 2005 US News and World Report rankings, Maryland was a Top-20 public university, ranked only one spot behind Texas. Their business school was ranked 27th in the nation, and in the Top 10 of public universities.

----------------------

I had a similar list of schools I was considering out of high school, and ended up going to Maryland because I got a scholarship there. I chose it over places like Hopkins and Duke, and don't think my education suffered one bit. You get from college what you want. The OP's son can get a fantastic education from any of the schools listed, provided he wants to learn. I loved Maryland, and would make the same decision in an instant if I had to do it again.

The sports teams are great, social life is good, you're less than a half hour from both Baltimore and DC, etc.

And the education is really top-notch too as far as a state school goes.

If you had any more specific questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them too.

UMTerp
UMCP - Class of '99
B.S. Civil Engineering
Old 11-04-2005, 04:58 PM

Granted, I got a 1200 on the SAT the only time I took it while completely wasted from the night before (in 1993), but isn't it fairly easy to get 1200+ now? I got a whopping 600 on the math section. I add g00t.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:05 PM

IIRC, when they "recentered" the SATs (I want to say in 1996 or 1997), the average score went up somewhere in the ballpark of 60-100 points.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:32 PM

the way i see it, for the most part, a univeristy is a university. what really makes the difference is 1) does ur kid fit with the school (i'm tlaking the type of ppl and community not grades) and 2) what kind of netwroking will they have done when they get out.

1) is obviously a personal choice that none of us can answer for u.
2) as long as u r not coming out of a that is not viewed as less than good, a degree is a degree. i go to Northeastern in boston. Northeastern does a co-op program that ensures netwroking. when i graduate (from the 5 yr program) i will have doen 3 6-month co-ops at 3 different companies. these r not just busy work, paper pushing internships, these r paid, full time employment job.
when i graduate i will have 18 months of work experience on my resume as compared to (assuming the ppl from my graduating class got a job directly after graduating) other ppl's 1 yr.

also we have a great club lacrosse team. 11th in the nation in the uslia.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:43 PM

We will begin visiting schools next week. We are going to Maryland first and then heading up to the Boston area soon after. We'll probably go to Michigan in December (see how he likes the cold then)...

Please tell me more about Northeastern,

Also Those of you who went to UTexas and Mich please give me some more personal experiences.

Thank you all for your continuing help.