Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Anybody else seen \"A History of Violence\" (Possible Spoilers)

[ QUOTE ]
everyone in our theatre was laughing at parts of the movie which were supposed to be sad/shocking/moving/poignant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying the director failed then?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:28 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a Cronenberg fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

so were all of the reviewers. i think the movie caters to a lot of human sensibilities, but the fans are basically going to fall into 3 groups:

1: the people who would pay double-price for tickets to watch cronenberg take a dump on film. i don't judge people for this, it's their prerogative and their preference. clearly the guy has his fans, but i was honestly shocked at how little resistance there was to him in the reviews i read after seeing the movie. usually when somebody 'subversive' or 'underrated' or 'avant-garde' or wherever you would put them comes out and makes an album or a movie, there are dissenters. 'spike jonze is just smoke and mirrors', you know that sort of thing. it doesn't seem to happen against this guy.

2: the pseudo-intellectuals that manage to take pride in "understanding" a completely obvious, simple, and non-subtle concept. needless to say, the assertion that anybody with an above-retarded intellect must not have "gotten" the movie if they disliked it incenses me.

3: easy-going joes who like to see a nice hero story with some pride-inspiring fight moments

i'm not a cronenberg fan. i'm not a cronenberg opponent either. i enjoyed the fly when i saw it ages ago, and scanners was a fairly entertaining blast from the past that i only saw for the first time maybe 5 years ago. i don't think i've seen any of his other movies, but at this point i'm certainly not putting it at the top of my list.

my only possibility of enjoying this movie was on number 3. to me the movie perfectly straddled the fence between "serious" and "popcorn" and managed to suck on both fronts. if it had committed to either side (and executed it well) i'm sure i could have enjoyed it. i'd say, for example, that i enjoyed that geena davis/samuel jackson movie "the long kiss goodnight" (goodbye?) better than this one when i watched it. she was a trained killer with amnesia, etc. total popcorn flick.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:36 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

that's why i said "whether he's been booked before or not." i was referring to joey/tom being fingerprinted in the past.

they would be looking for anybody's fresh data, i would imagine. i'm not interested in drilling into minutae about it either, but i would suspect that if actual analysis was given to whatever fresh stuff that was found it could be pretty easily-discovered that his brother (dna compatibility) was there recently and it could lead them down the path of finding him since they know who william hurt is.

the whole point of that stanza was to emphasize how totally over the top the lake scene was, though. falling to his knees, deliberately splashing the water, rising the shot up the hill from his face, etc. i think it was completely overdone and the people with whom i saw the film started laughing at how cheesy it was. i think that was the point where my gf said, "jesus christ this movie [censored] sucks." i was trying to force her to give it a chance for a while through the movie but all hope was lost for me too.

i really did like the pacing, though, and i thought there were some fair innovations in it. i had a couple positive things to say about it in the short review i made in the original thread about the movie, but i would not recommend that anybody take the time to watch it even if it's free.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:37 PM

a number of people were laughing at the dinner table end scene in my theater. but some also applauded after the high school fight as was mentioned by somebody else.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:42 PM

One thing that you need to take into account when judging the "believability" of this movie is the fact that it was based on a graphic novel (ie. a comic book). The whole movie was meant to have an unrealistic air about it. The heroes and villains were charicatures. The violence was comic book violence. Cronenberg was trying to stay true to the graphic novel that the movie was based on -- the movie wasn't meant to be believable.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:50 PM

How did this movie not get the NC-17?

The man impaling woman scenes could have left more to the imagination. Walking into the movie I didn't think the wife and I would be watching someone muff dive.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:50 PM

i don't "need" to take that into account because it's not at all apparent. you would need to have tracked this movie, read the graphic novel, or been a cronenberg fan in order to have that information. with something like sin city, for example, it's obvious and it becomes your fault if you find yourself surprised by this.

my problem isn't specifically with the lack of realism, though. it's the lack of realism, lack of depth, and lack of fun. they could make it much less realistic and more fun and i would have enjoyed it. or more realistic (at least to a point where it wasn't distracting) and deeper. either way.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How did this movie not get the NC-17?

The man impaling woman scenes could have left more to the imagination. Walking into the movie I didn't think the wife and I would be watching someone muff dive.

[/ QUOTE ]

some idiot early-20s couple brought three children all under the age of 8 into the theater. probably ages 4, 5, and 7 - somewhere around there. they sat through the whole cheerleader bit and eventually left when people started cursing excessively in the movie. it really gave me pause because i realized i must STILL overrate the intelligence of the public at large. it's amazing that i don't get killed on the way to work every day. how do these people function? the movie is rated R, it's called a HISTORY of VIOLENCE. dead people and sex right from the beginning of the movie.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:58 PM

Wow, you and wife seem to be strung a bit tight.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:04 PM

Nah it was just unexpected...but the fact remains, I know there are ignorant jackasses around who take kids to movies they have no business watching.

They found the line between R and NC-17 and did a great balancing act.