Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Why is liberal a bad word...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

if conservative is stopping abortion, cutting social security, forcing our views on the world, spending ourselves broke on the military, then i want to be a liberal.
if liberalism is spending ourselves broke on welfare for able workers and immigrants, raisng taxes, spending on foreign countries to buy allegience, trying to improve the school systems with more money, then i want to be a conservative.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do I. What scares me is that with all our 'smart' and experienced leaders, we can never seem to find much middle ground on some of these issues.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:29 AM

dvaut1,

i meant each as a different thing hense the comma.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Why is liberal a bad word....

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]..

because..

when a person refuses to take a job because "it doesn't pay enuf; or ; that's below my dignaty" ; then a liberal sez to get a 52 week continuance on unemployment benefits; up the food stamp and stipend for unemployment to make min wage jobs even more unappealling; and blame the conservatives for not building a new voc rehab building because the disadvantaged victim dropped out of high school in 8th grade to do dope and father 6 illegitamate children..;

well then obviously the liberal is a loving , caring person, and the conservative who is outraged by these disincentive to work and be responsible programs, is obviously a hardened selfish individual...

that's why i hate liberals..verstahen??

gl

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re:Crazy

AHHHH...a degree in the English language(sp) I envy you

You know if you could speak japenese(sp) or Arabic you could make tons of money abroad. Not joking, even a little understanding is in high demand.

almost forgot Im trying to get a degree in English my self. very hard for a forgiener.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re:Crazy

Jerome...do you have some beef with me that I don't know about?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:02 AM

Well cutting taxes and increasing spending do have some basis in economic thought. Trying to hyperstimulate your way out of a funky recession is not necessarily a terrible idea. Things were looking awful grim after the tech bubble popped.

However, advocating permanent tax cuts no matter the situation is ridiculous. It's no different than any other business/living. You save when things are going well (raise taxes and/or cut benefits during a hot economy) and dip into savings/profits if things go poorly (tax cuts and possibly more spending.)

The problem is getting a politician to say he will raise taxes if the economy is running too good so we don't get too out of whack. Or even getting a politician to say he will increase tax revenue during a boom by maintaining tax rates rather than cutting them since it's "your money not Washington's."
Old 08-22-2005, 12:05 AM

I hope this doesn't come off as too blunt but....since when does the right answer mean taking the "extreme" views and meeting in the middle?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

if conservative is stopping abortion, cutting social security, forcing our views on the world, spending ourselves broke on the military, then i want to be a liberal.
if liberalism is spending ourselves broke on welfare for able workers and immigrants, raisng taxes, spending on foreign countries to buy allegience, trying to improve the school systems with more money, then i want to be a conservative.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do I. What scares me is that with all our 'smart' and experienced leaders, we can never seem to find much middle ground on some of these issues.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-22-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
, and you have the simple fact that there have been no conservative excesses, and one can safely vote for a conservative without having to fear future excesses.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I could direct your attention to the country of Iraq.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Why is liberal a bad word....

It's hard to count all the ridiculous stereotypes there.

In modern society intelligence counts for a lot. If you're really stupid (meaning the bottom 5% or so) you have a low chance of ever making decent money. Low IQ is shown to be correlated to lower income (and vice versa). So in a country as rich as ours they should live in squalor?

And intelligence is based on both genetics and environment. So yes those disadvantaged youths you mocked were born way behind assuming their genetics are on par with everyone else (though if they were born poor they are likely behind genetically as well since we already know about the IQ correlation there).

It's easy to look down on other people when your skill sets are valued by the society you were born in - but others aren't so fortunate. So get off your high horse and if some of your poker winnings are taxed to go to help some guy born with shitty genes and environment I would say count your blessings you don't need the charity.

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]..

because..

when a person refuses to take a job because "it doesn't pay enuf; or ; that's below my dignaty" ; then a liberal sez to get a 52 week continuance on unemployment benefits; up the food stamp and stipend for unemployment to make min wage jobs even more unappealling; and blame the conservatives for not building a new voc rehab building because the disadvantaged victim dropped out of high school in 8th grade to do dope and father 6 illegitamate children..;

well then obviously the liberal is a loving , caring person, and the conservative who is outraged by these disincentive to work and be responsible programs, is obviously a hardened selfish individual...

that's why i hate liberals..verstahen??

gl

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-22-2005, 01:34 AM

I am proud to be a liberal, and I take it as a compliment when I am addressed as such.

The one thing about the word that annoys me is the high number of Democrats that claim to be liberal, but are really conservative.