Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 06:11 AM

Default Re: You love your Fish Soooo much, but.......

I think you all have it backwards.
When you come on a poker forum, and see someone spouting off and spreading falsehood about something you know to be true--you want to correct the error.
The Christians on this site didn't start the attacks--merely defended the truth.
If you don't want to acknowledge any truth but your own--why read ANYTHING? Obviously, you know enough to "do what you need to do" already.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:37 AM

I think you have it backwards. Nobody is attacking you. I've never even heard of you, and even if I had, I would have no interest in either knowing your spiritual beliefs or attacking you. I think you're paranoid. The world isn't out to get you, and neither am I.

The world is a big place. Most people don't want to hear one idea of "truth" being pounded into them over and over again, especially "for their own good," as it usually is. Deal with it. Get over it. And whatever other snappy get-back-to-reality and stop-being-so-selfish one liners apply.

I have a friend who is convinced that Christians are constantly thinking about Jews, and everyone else, too, who is not Jewish really still does take Jews as the center of the world, because their denying the truth of Judaism is really a form of rebellion and anger and prejudice, not to mention simple lack of enlightenment. Even non-believers or people who have never heard of Judaism are really an intimate part of some cosmic drama with Jews at the center and everyone else merely playing antagonists or supporting roles. I swear, anything that happens, he finds a way to work Jewishness into it. He reminds me of Woody Allen sometimes.

Sometimes I have to tell him, hey, believe it or not, everything in the world is not about YOU. It's not personal, and it's not invalidating your beliefs or your right to them. We just don't give a damn! You're not as important as you think, and you need to accept it and move on. You need to leave people with their own dignity, too, and respect their right to be themselves and not just bit players in your own personal story.

Unfortunately, he doesn't believe it. Not one word.

He's the only Jewish guy I've ever known who is that bad, by the way. I've lost count of the Christians I've known like that decades ago.

Imagine if someone were trying to work blackberries into every conversation, by hook or by crook. For your own good, of course. After a while, you'd be going, What the F*** is with the damn blackberries already!

You know you would.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:18 AM

LOL I like that post!
As a mild defense, a lot of the threads started here are in response to a post by Sklansky, who basically states that
1. God doesn't exist
2. All Christians are idiots
3. If you don't believe as I do (Sklansky) YOU'RE an idiot, too..heh

So starts the storm...and in my opinion, by far the most interesting threads on here have arisen from it--so "Well done, Sklansky!"

I don't take it personally, and hopefully I'm not paranoid..but I think that one reason we're all here is to consult/debate/discuss with others about the truth of various matters--ranging from poker hands to infinity! Truth matters to me; I think it does to you, too.
No one can know it ALL--so we all feel out our personal "bit of the elephant" and try to put the pieces and reports together..

PS no one who sincerely believes in God thinks that they are "the center of the universe"...they think HE is.. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2004, 08:35 AM

let's leave interpretations to ourselves. This is technically libellous, as David has not stated

"God doesn't exist"
"All Christians are idiots"
"If you don't believe as I do (Sklansky) YOU'RE an idiot, too.."

If you choose to interpret them that way, best leave it in your mind, as comments such as these could be subject to litigation.

I would choose to interpret Sklansky as asking for the logical foundation of why religious people choose to believe in a deity.

I would not say X states Y as that is treading dangerous legal waters.

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 10-18-2004, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
similarities between Christianity, Judaism, and Islam... The main similarity? You all think you have "The one RIGHT way."

[/ QUOTE ]

With regards to Judaism at least, this isn't true. There are orthodox Jews who are willing to accept that there is one Absolute Truth which can be interpreted in more than one way by humans, and there can be several correct relative Truths, although this does not mean that everything claiming to be truth is correct. For example, see The Dignity of Difference by Chief Rabbi Dr Jonathan Sacks.

Anyway:

[ QUOTE ]
You do not have a monopoly on "the one right way."

[/ QUOTE ]

What gives you the authority to say this? Maybe there is one right way that there is a monopoly on. How can you say that there is not?

Anyway, isn't saying that there is no monopoly on the right way essentially claiming that it is right that there is no right way, which is claiming that there is at least a monopoly in relation to monopolies on the truth?
Old 10-18-2004, 01:23 PM

Peter,
you SOUND like a Brit,
but you THINK like an American! lol
Old 10-18-2004, 05:54 PM

i didn't think my post was "preachy" in the least. i was just stating a fact.

even though it is my duty as a Christian to spread the word of God, this is certainly one area, among MANY, which i fall well short.

cheers!
Old 10-18-2004, 06:17 PM

There was nothing whatever factual going on. This was not a question of logic with a logical answer.

You roped people in under the premise that there was a factual answer, then lowered the boom on them by ambushing them with your religion whether they had wanted you to jump on them with it or not. Your "correct" answer was not "correct" at all, but merely one that you felt served the supposedly "worthwhile" purpose of attempting to indoctrinate people by ambush, and nothing more.

Your endeavor was an illegitimate and sneaky one, and purely selfish. I doubt Jesus would have to resort to such lame, lowball tactics.

Yuck.

If you think your cute little set-up involved "facts" and wasn't preachy, you're pretty self-deluded.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:43 PM

heh [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I have a black belt in litigation.

Stay cool!
Pete H.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was nothing whatever factual going on. This was not a question of logic with a logical answer.

You roped people in under the premise that there was a factual answer, then lowered the boom on them by ambushing them with your religion whether they had wanted you to jump on them with it or not. Your "correct" answer was not "correct" at all, but merely one that you felt served the supposedly "worthwhile" purpose of attempting to indoctrinate people by ambush, and nothing more.

Your endeavor was an illegitimate and sneaky one, and purely selfish. I doubt Jesus would have to resort to such lame, lowball tactics.

Yuck.

If you think your cute little set-up involved "facts" and wasn't preachy, you're pretty self-deluded.

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact i was referring to was that many Christians believe that God became man. i thought it was fairly obvious that you could not turn yourself into a fish. sorry if you are THAT confused and angry.

cheers!