Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: My thoughts (no results yet)

[ QUOTE ]
What can you do about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/fold the flop? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I think the best line is probably c/r the flop with the intention of checking the turn and playing poker after that.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What can you do about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check/fold the flop? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I think the best line is probably c/r the flop with the intention of checking the turn and playing poker after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad to see we're getting somewhere with check raising line because I think it is by far the best line. Looks like you are understanding why. Whether you check or lead the turn is your call. I'd lead half the pot with your stacks and fold to a raise. If called check fold the river.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm glad to see we're getting somewhere with check raising line because I think it is by far the best line. Looks like you are understanding why. Whether you check or lead the turn is your call. I'd lead half the pot with your stacks and fold to a raise. If called check fold the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any turn lead pot commits me. Thus I check turn [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Otherwise I should have just bet/3 bet the flop to begin with.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:55 AM

Check/raise, for sure. Someone did similar to me with 88 the other day on a 7 high flop, betting 300 into a 100 pot, there were two hearts on the flop and I had AJh. I pushed, he called and I hit both J and A (both diamonds) and was ahead with 14 outs anyway. Bear in mind you're probably behind to any two suited overcards.

By the way it was 14 because he had 8h.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check/raise, for sure. Someone did similar to me with 88 the other day on a 7 high flop, betting 300 into a 100 pot, there were two hearts on the flop and I had AJh. I pushed, he called and I hit both J and A (both diamonds) and was ahead with 14 outs anyway. Bear in mind you're probably behind to any two suited overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your Villian called off all his chips as a slight favorite and thus that's the correct play?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:11 AM

"IF" I did choose to bet I would bet less on the flop...something like 75-85. I want to eliminate all the garbage hands that have overcards whilst keeping the pot as small as possible in case I'm faced with aggression.

This usually in turn results in their raise being smaller than it would be against a larger bet, and makes the hand easier to play from your perspective, at least it does for me.

I basically don't bet 120 because it makes it somewhat more likely the pot will get out of control, yet I don't feel like it has that much greater an effect than a 75 chip bet. Also if I choose to fold to the future flop action, I've lost less chips.

There is no chance I am going to get broke on this flop with 88.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Early bet/3bet with 88 on the flop

I definitely check this flop.
There's really nothing wrong with seeing what develops.
If a scare card comes on the turn and you lose the pot, don't worry about it, your hand is pretty weak here anyway.

If you really want to get your chips in the middle flat call the flop and push the turn. At least then you let KQh make a mistake.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So your Villian called off all his chips as a slight favorite and thus that's the correct play?

[/ QUOTE ]

With 14 outs, I am 51% to make my hand by the river, as I am all-in on the flop. Therefore, I am the slight favourite. Not he.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:15 AM

I think my line here (late to the party it seems) is to C/R the flop to maximize fold equity, fold to a three bet on the flop.

If I'm called on my flop C/R, I probably push a non-heart/non-royal turn. That may be a bit over aggressive though.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:22 AM

All i know is that if the SB is betting the pot into 3 players , im putting him on at least top pair, or 2 pair. So if im the CO here, im not raising your pot bet with anything less.