Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Everyone wants to learn poker when they see the money...

[ QUOTE ]

Not only do you need hundreds of hours of hard work on your game, you need the ability to deal with long periods of variance. There is a silly number of stumbling blocks before you're even a decent poker player, let alone a superstar.

[/ QUOTE ]
Being a superstar and being a winner are different.

[ QUOTE ]
I think an average person stands a better chance of running a marathon in 12 months time than being a winner at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you are overestimating the difficulty of both.

I've known normal people who, for whatever reason, decided to run a marathon in a year, and did it, including a middle-aged overweight woman with no athletic background that I know. Of course they weren't competitive, and they were completely spent afterwards, and their toenails died and fell off, but they finished.

Poker isn't brain surgery, where there is a high, objective standard for competence. You just have to be significantly better than that average poker player at the levels you play, and the typical microlimit poker player doesn't study the game or think about it. I think most people could be taught to beat penny-ante poker games in a day using something like my Basic Strategy ( link, free OBG account may be necessary to view it), and Party's $0.50-$1 in a few days. However, it could take much longer if the person were convinced he already knew how to play.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now Daniel San. Paint the Fence!

[/ QUOTE ]

nh.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if they are sincere in wanting to learn this skill, then you would be a lousy friend or relation not to give them the best advice you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they were sincere I would teach them, I just dont want them to expect to be making insane amounts of cash after studying poker for about 3 seconds.

[ QUOTE ]
Teaching them your "tricks" is not going to lower your earn in any way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a few tricks but I havent even gotten to use them myself much, I have been playing for a short while, im also working on a few more and changing a few things about my "tricks" as I go. I dont think they are safe for people who dont know what they are doing.