Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Why do people love israel so much??

[ QUOTE ]
Why does everybody hate the Jews so much? Historically, they were persecuted in Europe leading all the way to the Holocaust. Now in the Middle East every Arab/Muslim country want the Jews to die. Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody needs a scapegoat.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Israel is an illegal state that really has no right to exist.

[/ QUOTE ]
I ask again. Why is Israel an illegal state with no right to exist while America is not? What makes a state "legal"?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are slightly derailing, but this is actually a very interesting question. Some EU-thing (comitee, bureau or something) had a discussion on this and they did not find objective parameters.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree that this is derailing. It's is exactly the question the OP needs to answer before he starts spouting off things like "Israel is an illegal state with no right to exist". If he can't answer these questions then he should stfu.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Israel is an illegal state that really has no right to exist.

[/ QUOTE ]
I ask again. Why is Israel an illegal state with no right to exist while America is not? What makes a state "legal"?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are slightly derailing, but this is actually a very interesting question. Some EU-thing (comitee, bureau or something) had a discussion on this and they did not find objective parameters.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree that this is derailing. It's is exactly the question the OP needs to answer before he starts spouting off things like "Israel is an illegal state with no right to exist". If he can't answer these questions then he should stfu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I despise much of Israel's politics, but I agree to your statement. No state has any universal right to exist, and thus no state can claim to be "legal" and then there really isn't any illegal states either.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, why do people have such strong feelings towards Israel?

Israel was created only 60 years ago, and yet many people talk about itas if it has always existed. The terms of it's inception are similar to the Indians taking back a chunk of the US because they lived there once. Why do the Jews deserve their own state at all? The Palestinians dont have their own state, the Catholics dont have their own state, the kurds dont have their own state, etc. What makes the Jews sospecial that they get their own country adn allowed to rule over a people who were already living there. Makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you know a thing about history.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the Arab hatred for the Jews does come from the existence of the Jewish state. What other issues would th earab world have with the jews if they werent being subjugated by them? Probably not much more than your average religious prejudice (like they have for christians)

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap you have no idea what you're talking about. The Arabs subjugated the Jews for centuries. Significant Jewish populations in many Arab nations, such as Syria, no longer exist due to mistreatment, as just one example.

Moreover, "the Jews" are not subjugating Arabs. Assuming the truth of your hypothesis, Israel is. There is a significant difference. "The Jews" that are not in Israel are not doing anything to "the Arabs" other than predominantly living in peace with them.

And "the Jews" have a long, long way to go before their "subjugation" of any Arab population matches what Arab nations -- let alone much of the world -- has done to the Jews that lived among them.

I just find this marked dislike for Israel very befuddling. The Hutus killed millions of Tutsis, and nobody said or did anything. The Sudanese are murdering and raping other Sudanese, and nobody cares. It took years before anyone responded to the crap that went on in Bosnia, and even today the US is criticized for intervening. Yet Israel -- which reasonably can be considered to be trying to protect itself from annihilation at worst and, at a minimum, terrorism -- takes actions against a relatively small population of Palestinians, at least some of whom are members of terrorist organizations, actions which I don't disagree may be extreme or violent, and the world jumps up and down screaming bloody murder.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I despise much of Israel's politics

[/ QUOTE ]

What is it about "much of Israel's politics" that you "despise"? Is it their attempts to reach peace agreements with their Arab neighbors? To put an end to terrorism within its borders? To protect itself against being wiped out by some of its crazy neighbors?

I certainly can appreciate the point of view that "despises" Israel's approach to the Palestinians in the refugee camps. I simiarly agree with the view that Israel needs to be watched, as it already has been caught spying on the US. Hell, I'm an American, not an Israeli, and my interests are US first, everyone else second. Despite the fact that I am a Jew, Israel is little more than another country to me. That having been said, I find it very difficult to consider a view that "much of Israel's politics is despicable" to be reasonable. The politics of Israel's neighbors in that region -- from its "friends" like Egypt to its mortal enemies like Syria and Iran -- are far more "despicable" than anything Israel could ever pull out of its ass, and is much more worthy of your scorn. Again, this fascination with Israel is most curious.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:39 PM

I despise the whole fundament of which the state is made and the effects this has on innocent people. I think a state made for one people/ religion/ nationality etc. is an undemocratic bad idea since those not belonging to that people/ religion/ nationality etc. often ends up being suppressed (like Jews traditionally in Europe and Palestinians in Israel today).
Old 10-28-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Israel was created only 60 years ago

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe what you wish, but this is the written Word from Joshua chapter 1, verses 1-4 (that's a book in the Bible from +/-1250 years before the birth of Christ):

[ QUOTE ]

Joshua 1
The LORD Commands Joshua
1 After the death of Moses the servant of the LORD, the LORD said to Joshua son of Nun, Moses' aide: 2 "Moses my servant is dead. Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them—to the Israelites. 3 I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses. 4 Your territory will extend from the desert to Lebanon, and from the great river, the Euphrates—all the Hittite country—to the Great Sea on the west.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-28-2005, 03:45 PM

I really do not care what your BS theology has to say about the issue. Respond In terms of secular politics please.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The politics of Israel's neighbors in that region -- from its "friends" like Egypt to its mortal enemies like Syria and Iran -- are far more "despicable" than anything Israel could ever pull out of its ass, and is much more worthy of your scorn. Again, this fascination with Israel is most curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is really no such basic specific fascination on my part. But I very rarely see anybody defend human rights abuses conducted by Syria, Iran or Egypt. But I see a lot of defending or "explaining" of those conducted by Israel (not take this personally) and thus it is a more important issue to address.