Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re: I got religion - 500 BB roll for 6-max is the minimum

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing I have around 100K hands of 6-max, avg 2BB/100 winner

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure why you have to guess about anything (PT should tell you this yes?). Bottom line is this 300 number being rare is nonsense and in fact likely to happen to many winning players. The swings are just violent and we all have to just deal with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't keep my ealiest PT databases (wish I had). If anything those are conservative numbers and I have 150K hands at 2+ BB/100. Anyway I was overdue for a big 200+ downswing - hadn't had one and knew it would happen eventually, from reading Davidross posts etc..

Two thoughts from the bottom of the swing. At 200+ BB down you don't know when you're gona start recovering. I coulda easily dropped another 200 BBs, like someone said take your worst swing and have back-to-back. Very scary how easy this could happen!!

The second realization is I play at the local card club, probably 30 hands/hour, appx 250 hands at the end of an 8 hour session. Took me 8000 hands to climb out of the 6-max online down swing, that would be 32 trips to the club! Thats a hell of a long time to sit around with donks and not win anything. Albeit the swings at 6-max are more violent than the full table club games are. At least online I can grind thru the swings alot faster.

1000 BB roll here I come! L8r.. BB
Old 10-27-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I dont think you have to prepare for the absolutely worst case possible all the time, just for a more reasonable bad run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey MrBig,

I agree. One doesn't have to maintain a 2000BB bankroll just in case, so long as they are mentally prepare that they might have to moved down in limits with a 500 BR if they drop 250+ BBs.

[ QUOTE ]
Also if you have a 450 BB slide when you start a new limit it is likely you were not a BIG winner during that period, I would guess you were a small winner (1-1.5BB/100??) while trying to adapt to 10/20 and obviously running bad too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree. I certainly wasn't playing my best poker during that stretch, but IMO I was still playing a winning game, though of course not as solidly as I am now. My stats over that stretch were abysmal...my W$@SD was something like 46% over the first 12k hands (with a WTSD of 37-38%).

All we can do is prepare for the worst, and expect the best. GL!

Surf
Old 10-27-2005, 11:47 AM

RDH,

Typo - sxb had a 650 BB downswing. It was realll late when I made that post, I apologize for the confusion.

Surf
Old 10-27-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If your strategy is to drop down when you get to 200 BB's, I don't see why it matters how much you have on top of that, within reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the strategy is to not have to drop down. Dropping down in limits when you're beating the current limit is very -ev.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:59 AM

I will make this point again.

All this min BB nonsense only really applies if you have to lose a limb each time you move down.

If you're playing 27 tables or something, yeah, more BB is better. However, I think limiting your earn by not playing at a limit you can beat simply because you haven't met the magic number isn't awesome.

Move up, if you lose, move down and nobody dies.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If your strategy is to drop down when you get to 200 BB's, I don't see why it matters how much you have on top of that, within reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the strategy is to not have to drop down. Dropping down in limits when you're beating the current limit is very -ev.

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!! This is the important point. A 4000 BB bankroll, (besides the mental confort) and you will never ever have to move down if you are a winner.

Krishan
Old 10-27-2005, 12:02 PM

I'm surprised no one makes a bigger deal about RB. This should be a substantial part of the conversation. If I have a few hundred BBs at a certain level, and lose almost all of it, that month where I lose almost all of that, I make it up with RB if I play enough.

M
Old 10-27-2005, 12:10 PM

I would argue (and argued before 3 weeks ago) that assuming rakeback as part of your roll is dangerous, because there's always been the chance that it could end.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:12 PM

In that case, if you take someone who plays for a living, assume they have 1,000 BBs in their initial roll. Month one of being a pro, they add 500 BBs via profit at the tables. How much of that can be taken out, and how much needs to stay?
Old 10-27-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
RDH,

Typo - sxb had a 650 BB downswing. It was realll late when I made that post, I apologize for the confusion.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]
Christ, I'll leave the dry remarks to the Brits among us in the future.