Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Greg\'s Turkey Day interactive blind quiz

I think not raising 88 is the most costly of all of these.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:01 PM

I agree with Miles 100%.

Hands 2 and 9 are calls that I usually make incorrectly.
But I'm way too loose in the SB.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call and play wa/wb with a flopped ace. c/r a 9, a flush draw, or a combo gutshot/overcard/bdfd flop, like 568 with a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. after this hand i leave the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Miles, can you explain the rationale for check-raising the flush draw in this situation? In weighing the odds King Yao advocates the same thing, and I don't get it. I mean, I do get it against someone I've played a lot of hands against, because it makes me harder to read etc. etc., but against an unknown I'm not sure what it accomplishes.

I haven't read the rest of the thread, so sorry if it's already been discussed.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) First hand at the table– you have observed a pretty tight table waiting for the blinds, but have no real reads yet. You are dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB. UTG+2 open raises, folded to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Haven't been at the table long enough to accurately gauge its tightness/lack thereof, so I'm treating UTG as not a LAG, but not a rock either. It's one bet with a medium suited ace - these are not bad cards by any stretch. I call.

[ QUOTE ]
2) The very next hand in the SB you get 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hijack (MP3 for the uninitiated) open limps, folded to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
With only two opponents, I throw these cards back like they're covered in smegma.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Loose table with mixed aggression: three loose passives limp, and a loose aggressive but thinking player raises on the button. You have 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the SB. BB is a reasonably good player who plays tight.

[/ QUOTE ]
As a thinking player, Button could be raising a wide range of hands. I call instead of raising, hoping BB's chips will come along for the ride against the limpers' sooooted surprises and weak aces.

[ QUOTE ]
4) You are in the BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Four loose passive limp, and a loose aggressive player raises on the button. SB (loose passive) calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate weak aces and really don't want to have to call down with second-best. Fold-o.

[ QUOTE ]
5) UTG, a tight aggressive players raises, you get 2 cold callers from loose and passive types. You are in the SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] BB is loose and passive. (Does your answer change if you have 3 cold callers?)

[/ QUOTE ]
I call this with two cold callers, I call it with 3 cold callers. I also hope it tilts TAG when my OESD hits on the river.

[ QUOTE ]
6) Same situation as #5, only this time you have 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. (Does your answer change if you have 3 cold callers?)

[/ QUOTE ]
With just the two, this is borderline, but if I flop a set no one will suspect and implied odds are my friend. Call.

[ QUOTE ]
7) UTG+2 open raises. He is loose, aggressive, but thinking player. You get 2 cold callers and the SB calls (all looser players). You have 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]
For one bet this is both an easy call and easy to get away from if the flop isn't great.

[ QUOTE ]
8) Same situation as #7, but this time you have T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]
Raise - this could very well be the best hand at this point - if UTG+2 should cap and drive out the others, that's fine too.

[ QUOTE ]
9) You are in the SB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hijack open limps, folded to you. BB is crazy and unpredictable LA player.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not enough action for the set I absolutely need to spike. If BB was Checky McPassive, this might change, though.

[ QUOTE ]
10) You are in the BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Seven players limp (an assortment of muppets), the SB folds.

[/ QUOTE ]
Checky McPassive, that's me. I'm guessing this is a value raise I'm missing.

[ QUOTE ]
11) Same as #10, only the button (LAG) raises.

[/ QUOTE ]
That makes it definitely just a call.

And a question from me...? How about this one I saw recently:

X5) You are in the BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Folded to MP3, a TAG, who raises. CO folds and Button, a LAG of ages who has been playing back irrationally hard at MP3 (possibly tilt over blind-steal issues) 3-bets. SB folds.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think not raising 88 is the most costly of all of these.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-24-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

5) UTG, a tight aggressive players raises, you get 2 cold callers from loose and passive types. You are in the SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] BB is loose and passive. (Does your answer change if you have 3 cold callers?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like more dicussion on this one. I pretty much stick to SSH recommendations when it comes to the blinds and multiway pots. I know it just a template but SSH says to fold suited connectors below KQs in tight games, and below JTs in loose games. If your pretty certain it won't be raised behind us, what other hands should we be playing in this spot with a certain number of callers. How about if we change the position of the raiser?
Old 11-24-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like more dicussion on this one. I pretty much stick to SSH recommendations when it comes to the blinds and multiway pots. I know it just a template but SSH says to fold suited connectors below KQs in tight games, and below JTs in loose games. If your pretty certain it won't be raised behind us, what other hands should we be playing in this spot with a certain number of callers. How about if we change the position of the raiser?

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a tight game. This is a tight raiser. It's the loosey goosey's in this hand that make it profitable. You have magic implied odds if you get a flop you like.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:11 AM

allright, I was busy yesterday but I've got a min today. I still get 20% of the SSHE questions wrong, but I'll go ahead and embarass myself here publicly as well.

--blind response--

[ QUOTE ]

1) First hand at the table– you have observed a pretty tight table waiting for the blinds, but have no real reads yet. You are dealt Ah 9h in the BB. UTG+2 open raises, folded to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is a tight table I fold to an early raise with this hand due to potential domination and OOPidness. I'd call with 89s though. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

2) The very next hand in the SB you get 5c 8c. Hijack (MP3 for the uninitiated) open limps, folded to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fold, but I'd raise with A8+ and any pocket pair.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Loose table with mixed aggression: three loose passives limp, and a loose aggressive but thinking player raises on the button. You have 9d 9h in the SB. BB is a reasonably good player who plays tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting 5/1.5 on this call, with an implied 7/1.5 if bb folds and loosies call. I call, since I believe I can make up the difference vs a couple of fish and a lag that I may be leading anyway. Position sucks here but if the flop comes low rags i can checkraise, and if it comes with a 9 I can bet/reraise. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

4) You are in the BB with Ac 5s. Four loose passive limp, and a loose aggressive player raises on the button. SB (loose passive) calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fold here. while I may have the lag beaten, I'm not confident in my ability to either
A)win UI, or
B)win without showing down.

[ QUOTE ]
5) UTG, a tight aggressive players raises, you get 2 cold callers from loose and passive types. You are in the SB with 9d 8d BB is loose and passive. (Does your answer change if you have 3 cold callers?)

[/ QUOTE ]

easy call for me. Even with just 4/1.5, there is no real potential of domination, good odds, and the flop plays itself. If I flop a fl or str draw, I check and call, getting great odds if the pfr bets and all call to me. If I flop a flukey two pair or trips, I can bet out and let pfr raise, blowing out the field. If I get an OESFD, I can checkraise and trap the field for two. It's the prescence of people who will pad my draws postflop that makes this call easy IMO

[ QUOTE ]
6) Same situation as #5, only this time you have 5 5. (Does your answer change if you have 3 cold callers?)

[/ QUOTE ]

this one's tougher, as I'd need to make up more bets postflop. three coldcallers gives me close enough odds to call.

[ QUOTE ]
7) UTG+2 open raises. He is loose, aggressive, but thinking player. You get 2 cold callers and the SB calls (all looser players). You have 6s 5s in the BB

[/ QUOTE ]

easy call getting 9-1. see my answer to 5 for game plan.

[ QUOTE ]

8) Same situation as #7, but this time you have T T.

[/ QUOTE ]

with a hand as strong as TT I consider raising for value (though I probably dont make the raise in the heat of battle). I've got immediate odds to hit a set, and I've got a shot at winning UI.

[ QUOTE ]
9) You are in the SB with 2 2. Hijack open limps, folded to you. BB is crazy and unpredictable LA player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd play this to the river HU with BB, but I can't do it with hijack in the hand. I fold here but raise HU. I can't think of a hand that I just call with hijack in, but I'll raise 77+, A9+, and KT+.

[ QUOTE ]
10) You are in the BB with 8 8. Seven players limp (an assortment of muppets), the SB folds.

[/ QUOTE ]
easy raise for value on a set draw or overpair draw.

[ QUOTE ]

11) Same as #10, only the button (LAG) raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

now I'll just call, not trying to blow out the field.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
call and play wa/wb with a flopped ace. c/r a 9, a flush draw, or a combo gutshot/overcard/bdfd flop, like 568 with a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. after this hand i leave the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Miles, can you explain the rationale for check-raising the flush draw in this situation? In weighing the odds King Yao advocates the same thing, and I don't get it. I mean, I do get it against someone I've played a lot of hands against, because it makes me harder to read etc. etc., but against an unknown I'm not sure what it accomplishes.

I haven't read the rest of the thread, so sorry if it's already been discussed.

[/ QUOTE ]
we're not just check raising any flush draws - i did not make that clear. ie. on a T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], the best line is to check call because we're not going going to be able to fold him out with a turn follow up bet.

the idea is that if he has a stronger ace than ours (or a hand with 6 outs like KQ), we want him to fold it unimproved on the turn. so, we check raise a T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] flop. he will have a hard time calling a turn lead (sometimes he may even fold the flop) if he doesn't improve his overcard hand. if he 3-bets us with an overpair, we still have 9 flush outs + 3 ace outs usually (since he can have JJ/QQ/KK 18 ways and AA only 3 ways). 12 outs heads up is not such a bad spot.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) I think calling here is a significant mistake. At a generic tight table his opening range is going to have you dominated a significant portion of the time here, and the only hand you are really beating is KQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if calling is a mistake, there's no way it could be a significant one. It's just one bet, preflop, with a strong hand with flush potential to boot.

Also, you MUST raise the 88 hand. We're missing tons of set value by not doing so. This is one of those decisions where a preflop decision can have a significant impact on the EV of the hand, which is generally not the case, relative to postflop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's one bet preflop, but this sort of situation happens quite often, time and time again. So it's really a thousand bets preflop.