Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Helping the World\'s Poor

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not about let you draw me into some kind of pissing contest about this.

[/ QUOTE ]
I.e. you can't really back up your incredibly ignorant statements so you will not try in hope of keeping some redibility?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I'm simply not going to be lured into discussions starting with loaded questions like:

Do you think the 24,000 people that die everyday because of starvation do it because they're lazy?

or

Do parents in Haiti simply not care as much about their kids as in the great USA?

Those aren't questions designed to provoke honest discussion. They're asked in a manner to attack the person you're asking the question to.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:15 PM

Well regardless of whether Dynasty is right or wrong about food being not that hard for people to get, he is correct that just blindly throwing money at the problem is not the solution. And he's right that that money would be quickly spent, but the problems would continue to exist. Those points are more important and germane than that with which you are taking issue.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:18 PM

It's hard to get into a substantive argument with someone who says "It's not that hard to get food."
Old 05-29-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No. I'm simply not going to be lured into discussions starting with loaded questions like:

Do you think the 24,000 people that die everyday because of starvation do it because they're lazy?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, since you said
[ QUOTE ]
It's not that hard to get food. Millenia before our ancestors discovered fire, they managed to eat.

[/ QUOTE ]
It sure does look like you said exactly the same thing as Bruiser, but now are backpeddaling.

Anyways, I don't really care what you think, but I found it sad that a poster whos posts I have enjoyed said such stupid things.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, since you said
[ QUOTE ]
It's not that hard to get food. Millenia before our ancestors discovered fire, they managed to eat.

[/ QUOTE ]
It sure does look like you said exactly the same thing as Bruiser, but now are backpeddaling.

Anyways, I don't really care what you think, but I found it sad that a poster whos posts I have enjoyed said such stupid things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you'll learn something.

The first thing you should try to learn is not to insult somebody simply because they disagree with you.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The first thing you should try to learn is not to insult somebody simply because they disagree with you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't actually mean to insult you. In what way do you feel insulted? Because I have lost respect for you? Well, I have. Because I feel you are backpeddaling? Well, I think you are. None of those points are really insulting.

And I think the points you make are stupid. And even more so I find your lack of argument of your very controversial statements to be covardly.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to get into a substantive argument with someone who says "It's not that hard to get food."

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it isn't. You just pop down to the supermarket and buy it...
Old 05-29-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those aren't questions designed to provoke honest discussion. They're asked in a manner to attack the person you're asking the question to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know Dynasty. I'm not the biggest fan of foreign aid either but he does have a valid point. Good luck countering it without writing 3-4 pages.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not about let you draw me into some kind of pissing contest about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, good job on this.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fix these problems (education and infrastructure) and the other ones will solve themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO! If you really want to fix these problems you have to think about the long run. These quick fix solutions of sending food and medicine will not cut it. They will simply create dependencies and drag the rest of the world down.

Also, The US government has no place in these efforts. If citizens want to help poor starving people in other countries they can(and do) send money through charities. The taking of money and sending it to other people without consent is theft. Be it at gunpoint where the penalty is getting shot, or in a welfare system where the penalty is imprisonment. It makes no difference how pious the motives are it is still stealing.

silly