Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Having to give it all up for good (long message), advice appreciated

[ QUOTE ]
Note: Barron talks to himself regularly, could be an sign of deeper mental issues! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes....issues...like steering clear of you on party...you play good. (that is if you are who i think you are)

-Barron
Old 01-25-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Having to give it all up for good (long message), advice appreciated

I agree completely with what you're saying Avid. In high school, my 15 hours of soccer practice a week with a travelling tournament was a testament to my dedication to the sport. Now, even 5 hours of reading and playing poker is a sign of addiction.

Luckily, my parents understand the game, and realize that I am neither addicted nor in it for some thrill. That being said, my last girlfriend didn't really understand the situation, and I've come ot the realization that some people never will.

Given that I plan on playing poker for a significant portion of my income after I graduate from school, I have no idea how I'd respond if my girlfriend or wife had a serious objection. Assuming I could find a reasonably paying job, I wouldn't let poker ever be the deciding factor in a marriage.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:41 PM

We've met and played at the Borgata (I mentioned this in a hand you posted from later that session after I had already left), and my Party nickname is pretty obvious +_iR
Old 01-25-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We've met and played at the Borgata (I mentioned this in a hand you posted from later that session after I had already left), and my Party nickname is pretty obvious +_iR

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm...i have no short term memory...who are you again?

i know i met evan, jpir5422342342978043709487, james282, flushed, scrub, and i got to see monkeyslacks again...so who were you? and were you at the 20 game ?

-Barron
Old 01-25-2005, 07:54 PM

I responded in your Borgata trip report

The comment I remember from you was when you shook my hand when I left, said it was nice playing with me and you'd be SURE to sit on my right next time! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Note this was after I got abused by an hour+ of brutal beats (hand after hand after hand) by the asian guy at the other end of the table (9 seat, and I was in the 4 seat, you were in the 6 seat)...which you may or may not remember, but I do! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Little did I realize tpir18923890210931 (random numbers is indeed easier), was sitting two to my right and Shane was in between tpir and I in seat 3.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:00 PM

oh yea!! that guy to YOUR right was the guy i was always after and i had hands that i could easily play against him but then YOU raised and i had you pegged as a competent player and tight...one time i had 99 and the guy to your right raised and you folded and another fold and it was on me and i thought YOu raised and was about to either fold or call but then i dont know how but i found out it was the guy to your right who raised and i immediately 3 bet and everybody at the table laughed.

that was funny....and yes you raised me off of many hands that i could have crushed the looser guy to your right with.

but it was nice meeting you and i'll pm you when i go that way again.

-Barron
Old 01-25-2005, 08:07 PM

Guy to my right is a very regular player, who plays full time. Very intelligent guy, but tiltable and a bit too loose (as are his friends) preflop.

I remember that session when I folded AQo to his friend's raise (whom I respected) and later discussed it and he looked at me like I had 3 heads for folding AQo to a raise preflop. After observing the hands they show down, I quickly realized I can widen my range of isolation hands against them...you picked up on that quickly as well! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Anywho, yeah drop me a line next time you swing down. I'll be going down pretty regularly with a mix of snowboarding this and that weekend throughout the winter. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2005, 09:05 PM

The fact of the matter is you can have your cake and eat it too. I'm an anesthesia resident, have been playing and supporting myself for 5 years, and now supplement my nonexistent income (you remember those days, right?) with poker. And my woman of 7 yrs not only is totally understanding (we had a long distance thing for 4 years, and poker was what enabled the frequent travel/visits) but I taught her to play last year, and she become not only a regular participant in our home game but also a winning low limit player. So basically if you're finding the time to work and play, it's all good. The woman thing will work itself out, and it shouldn't be contingent on poker. I cringed when I read your earlier account of your ex flying off the handle about poker- not b/c poker is so important, but every relationship needs to be built around compromise and if someone is going to be that unreasonable about a genuine passion of yours then I say screw it. My fiance knew she couldn't fight it, so she joined it. And now loves it.

So good luck to you. Where are you practicing BTW?

Leon
Old 01-25-2005, 09:37 PM

It takes a hell of a woman to be better than none at all.

If I were you, I wouldn't rush into another relationship, but would take some time and let my life level off in terms of career and poker, before I made any kind of commitments.

And life does go on. There will be other days for you. I am a retired MD, and had several avocations while I was working. The thing is, you have to learn to "juggle" all the things you are doing in your life, and that includes a loving relationship as exhibit #1, assuming you want to keep it. If you are truly dedicated to medicine, that has to be the second commitment. Then comes the other stuff.

Once I retired, I could move those avocations up to "full time status." Ands when you don't have a job, then you have time for all the poker you might want, plus having a life.

I wish you all the best. Judging from all the responses, I'd say you touched a spot in the lives of quite a few posters. Good luck, Buddy,

bill
Old 01-25-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Jeez....You haven\'t learned your lesson...

"when she had an affair, and she recited these early happenings as part of the reason."
****PART of the reason. Bull***, she cheated plain and simple and poker was just an excuse to justify her infidelity. When men cheat it is because they are "pigs". When women cheat it is because their "emotionally neglected". Jeez, quite a double standard huh... I hope you learned your lesson about allowing women to emotionally blackmail you like that..... Read Bobby Baldwin's book how he handled his ex-wife when she didn't like his poker playing....

"But I will get married again at some point, I’m 34 and don’t want to wait too much longer. So what then? I’m faced with the reality of probably having to give it all up."
***Four words. "Act like a man." Tell any woman upfront(3rd date+) that poker is your hobby and make NO APOLOGIES. Emotionally healthy women respect this. Now if you were a losing player who gambled away the grocery money, THEN, a women would be TOTALLY justified in kicking your ass.....and running away....

As for your ex-wife. Throwing a vase is not a sign of an emotionally healthy person..

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]