Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 04:20 AM

Default Re: Opening Lines for Chicks @ Coffee Shops

[ QUOTE ]
i dont know, but i think for guys, this is highly dependent on how attractive the girl is.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes but your standards drop significantly i think. for example you may see a girl at the coffee shop and think 'meh, i'm not going to bother approaching her, she's an average jane'

but if she comes up to you, then you think 'wow, this is too easy, may as well go for another tally'
Old 11-15-2005, 04:21 AM

"are you single?"

"Are you seeing anyone" is the way I'd put it, wouldn't open with it though. Not that I care if she's seeing anyone anyway since I don't do relationships.

I usually let off a "hey, how's it going" or just a "hey" or "hi".
Old 11-15-2005, 04:23 AM

Another one that isn't bad is, "Hey, I was wondering, could I ask you something?" If she looks interested, then follow up with some sort of complex question, like... "I need a woman's perspective on something. My friend just called and said his girlfriend is really upset because he still talks to his ex sometimes, even though they're just friends. Is that something that really bothers most women?"

Or whatever. Bam, you're in a conversation.

If she doesn't look interested when you approach, ditch off to a question that allows her to cleanly end the discussion, like "Do you know what's good here?" If she answers still disinterested, just say thanks and go order or something. But even here, you might find your original read was off and you can continue from there.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:27 AM

I often opened to girls in bars and stuff with 'you look interesting, can I talk to you for a bit?'

It sounds lame, but there you go. And yes, they did look interesting to me, if you're wondering

I'd also try and get them guessing what I did for a job, and when it turned to what they did, I'd ask to feel their hands (on the pretext of using it as a way to guess), and touch their fingers very delicately but firmly, if that makes sense (your pretext is callouses etc, but you say stuff like 'oh your skin is so soft and delicate...' stuff). And usually continued talking while still rubbing their hands gently with mine.

Damn, I used to be smooth...
Old 11-15-2005, 04:31 AM

That sounds way better than my usual technique of asking them to pull a bucket off my head.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Says the guy asking a message board how to talk to girls

[/ QUOTE ]
Mmm... touché
Old 11-15-2005, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I often opened to girls in bars and stuff with 'you look interesting, can I talk to you for a bit?'

[/ QUOTE ]
Mmm... I don't know about that one... it gives away a ton of personal power and basically communicates that I'm a wuss / pushover, which I'm not. Good suggestions otherwise.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
here's one i used at the campus bar once.

it was about the middle of the night and we were leaving. there was this girl at the door. i said hi, and she smiled back and said hi. then i said "alright my friends and i are leaving right now but here's what's going to happen. when i run into you next on campus we're gonna go get a coffee, ok?"

she was like "what are the chances of that?!?! why don't you just take my number right now"

sold. too easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this one and might just have to try it
Old 11-15-2005, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Mmm... I don't know about that one... it gives away a ton of personal power and basically communicates that I'm a wuss / pushover, which I'm not. Good suggestions otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never had a 'no' at this point, it's complimentary without addressing appearance (which is the usual guy thing and something lots of women have built immunity to). And it's very, very quickly forgotten once the talking starts, as it's quite neutral.

So unless American women are very different from English women, I'd be very surprised this isn't a good opener for you.

We need Dom or women to give a proper view on this...
Old 11-15-2005, 04:51 AM

Default Thus far I like...

Blake's suggestions are genius. I shudder to think at the amount of warm poonany the man will enjoy before his time is up.

Diebitters "Hi, how's it going," while not particularly inventive, does have a sort of elegant simplicity. I'll definitely be trying that one tomorrow.

"Are you single?" I've actually used that one before on this chick at a store near my former job. Worked pretty well, although the chick had a boyfriend. Definitely provoked a positive reaction.

Props to housenuts for excellent contributions to the thread. And Blarg, despite choosing to act like a smartass, has made me laugh so props to him too.

Themanpower's seems like it could work, but I have to say that's not really my style.

Madtown's post is very good.

Thanks everyone for the excellent suggestions.