Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Popping the question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ooh, I'm sorry, the answer we were looking for was, "scoreboard at a basketball game".

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta think 80% of the time this happens, the couple is already engaged. Just putting on a show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw a clip on the news of a guy proposing at a Wizards game and getting completely shot down, his girlfriend walking away in tears. It was quite hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was staged.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:23 AM

really? any link to corroborate your story?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that my girlfriend is not a money-grubbing whore, but isn't a hippy either, is there any way I can get out of buying a ring?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, make sure she knows what a cheap bastard you are so she'll say no when you ask!

I kid, I kid... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that my girlfriend is not a money-grubbing whore, but isn't a hippy either, is there any way I can get out of buying a ring?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shark tooth necklace.

And you could have a bell, so the beggars and urchins could run away when you are coming, and save the time to ask for spare pennies.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:35 AM

This actually reminds me of something. When my parents got engaged, my dad had just started his own business and money was kind of tight, so even though they knew that they wanted to get married, he couldn't afford an engagement ring.

So naturally, 25 years down the line, my dad owns a successful restaurant, money isn't tight any more, so you'd better believe that my mom wants her engagement ring.

I guess the short answer is no, there's no way of getting out of it.

Personally, I would want to buy it for her, and I'd want to buy her the biggest, most beautiful most expensive ring I ould find because I worked with a girl over the summer who had gotten engaged and with all the ooohs and aaahs her ring got, I'm sure she felt like the envy of everyone she saw. So, I would want nothing more than for my future wife to feel that exact same way.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember this too, I am pretty sure that ESPN ran both the original proposal and then the admission that it was faked the next day.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember this too, I am pretty sure that ESPN ran both the original proposal and then the admission that it was faked the next day.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is correct, it was a spoof!

nba.com link .
Old 11-15-2005, 05:22 AM

To answer the original question, which no one managed to do, the answer is there is no answer, depends on the girl and the circumstances. A good general rule is one should never ask the question unless you know the answer is going to be yes. Beyond that, it's up to you.

Personally, when I proposed in 1999, my girlfriend knew I was going to do it, she just didn't know when and where. And since she was previously married and had a kid, asking her father was not in the cards, not to mention the fact that he wouldn't approve, since I'm not the right religion. Also, my wife's ex had royally screwed up the ring thing, so no ring. We were going to do that together.

We were taking a walk one day when she mentioned something that told me this was the perfect place and time to do it. Completely shocked her. So much so that she gave a non-standard response for about 5 seconds, before switching to yes.

The ring was not going to be the standard diamond solitaire, we had decided on some sort of sapphire. We'd know it when we saw it. And 2 months later, we found it.

So there. Completely unconventional. Adjust to your circumstances. And don't let anyone tell you it has to be a certain way, that's completely up to the two of you. If you know her well enough to marry her, you should know her well enough to get it right.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:46 AM

Just make sure she says yes. I had someone say no before and it sucked...oh well.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop encouraging PokerGoblin. That drunken rant made the OP out to be some sort of slave to conformity all for asking a simple question about getting engaged. Most people get married and start a family because they want too. The few people I know that feel otherwise openly state so, and don't make plans to get married.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sorry, I hadn't realized this was such sensitive subject matter to some people here.

I made no inferences about the OP being a 'slave to conformity', nor did I ever refer to him directly. I don't know him.

PG