Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Bellagio 15/30 A3s

[ QUOTE ]

On the flop, I bet and hope it is raised by the button with overcards. Maybe medium pair or second pair folds. Maybe I have the best hand

[/ QUOTE ]
Only two of those three reasons applied here. I may have the best hand. A pair bigger than mine may fold to bet (probably middle pair, but I at least thought there was a chance of folding out something like 55, which may be the only thing beating me). However, I don't believe that the button will raise if he holds overcards. He will raise with an overpair, but with something like AK, he will just call. On the other hand, if I check, I expect that he will take a free card with AK and if I have the best hand or could have folded out all of the better hands, I would hate for this flop to check around.

So the real question here: If I know that the button will not raise (or bet) with overcards, is a flop bet still right? I agree that if he would raise AK, this bet is clear, but in this case I wasn't so sure. As I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I have rarely played with people who would raise overcards with no other draw on the flop against a big field even though it is probably the best play.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:03 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Bellagio 15/30 A3s

[ QUOTE ]
So the real question here: If I know that the button will not raise (or bet) with overcards, is a flop bet still right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any overcard you get out is beneficial, isn't it? If you miss the turn, you might very likely get a free card play if you decide to take it. OR you can throw another bet on the turn which still represents at least top pair and may fold even more hands or possibly pick up the pot right there.

It also looks like a stronger bet since you're betting into a preflop raiser. So even observant opponents could misread it and think you're stronger than you really are.

However, there are merits to just checking the flop as everyone is getting at least 15-1 on their calls. Which is why you may very well have to fire again on the turn to still represent a strong hand since that's where they'd be more likely to fold. Waiting to the turn to bet if checked to is a little less believable that you'd have top pair. Unless they think you're doing the waiting to the turn with top pair and raising move. Which on this board, if you waited to the turn, and someone bets out on the paired 6, you have a decision to make there too.

Interesting spot to be in.

b