Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: \"I used to play 80/160 with $3,200 bankroll\" -- Negreanu

Daniel and many other high-limit players, especially tourney players, have discussed numerous times the idea of taking a shot w/ your whole bankroll in some good really big-game. The attitude is something like this:

OK, I have $3200. I can play $5/10 and grind out $10-20/hr. Tomorrow I'll prob have somewhere around $3200. Or, I can sit in $80/160. I can run hot and make $5000, or I can lose it all. If I lose it all, I go work or scrounge up some money somehow so I can play $5/10 again. But if I hit a rush, I'll have $5000 or $8000 or $10000 or whatever and can play bigger games.

Of course most people go bust doing this. But some get lucky a couple of times and get to rocket up limits.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Please tell me what was wrong with the grammar or spelling then. My english is not perfect, but seems good enough for most persons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nevermind.

Daniel Negreanu has been broke several times, BTW.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All pros sometimes have issues outside of poker that may affect there game. But they didn't go broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you mean to say MOST pros have had issues...and that they HAVE gone broke at some point?.
That would be so much closer to the truth.

You make a lot of statements that have absolutely no merit as though they were fact, like you were some expert. You do this ALL the time.

Thank god most people are already aware of this. You really don't know shiit about shiit do you?
Old 06-14-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh please. Now your just reachin to win an argument and not admit Daniel has had his struggles in live play through the years.

Just to prove you wrong he wrote about what he did when he came to vegas and what he did in toronto before vegas. He went back and forth between 10-20 and 20-40. I mean this is a ridulous argument to say he didn't lose the money he won in tournaments. It has been stated many places that he went broke. Even he stated it. He said ity was his old girlfriends fault and because he drank when he played. Bottom line is he lost playing live poker. All pros sometimes have issues outside of poker that may affect there game. But they didn't go broke. In fact they still increased there bankrol. Maybe not as much as they would have if not for outside interference. But increased it nonetheless. So why didn't daniel?

[/ QUOTE ]

How's the Daniel Negreanu fan club project going?
Old 06-14-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh please. Now your just reachin to win an argument and not admit Daniel has had his struggles in live play through the years.

Just to prove you wrong he wrote about what he did when he came to vegas and what he did in toronto before vegas. He went back and forth between 10-20 and 20-40. I mean this is a ridulous argument to say he didn't lose the money he won in tournaments. It has been stated many places that he went broke. Even he stated it. He said ity was his old girlfriends fault and because he drank when he played. Bottom line is he lost playing live poker. All pros sometimes have issues outside of poker that may affect there game. But they didn't go broke. In fact they still increased there bankrol. Maybe not as much as they would have if not for outside interference. But increased it nonetheless. So why didn't daniel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jane Harman was quoted in a recent Card Player issue that at one time she lost her entire bankroll, and every major player she knows has lost his/her bankroll. In Super System, Brunson wrote that he lost it all once.

-ptmusic
Old 06-14-2005, 07:53 PM

Who the hell is Jane Harmon? Do you mean Jennifer?
Old 06-14-2005, 07:54 PM

Did anyone stop and think that he may also be kidding when he says this?
Old 06-14-2005, 08:20 PM

I remember quote from Gus Hansen on a WPT episode... something like ~"in every gamblers life, he will go broke at some point"...

note: sorry to the quotation police... it isn't exact -- but you get the point...
Old 06-14-2005, 10:35 PM

Excellent argument. He's is rich now so it doesn't matter whether he can play live poker or not.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:54 PM

Whose talking bs? You say most pros have gone broke. I say most haven't gone broke. So who is right? I am as usual. What makes you think you know anything? I do. I live this life while your a wannabee criticizing me for stating facts that you don't like. Most pros do not go broke. ESPECIALLY if they have aquired hundreds of thousands through tournaments. I'm talking baout real pros. People that are good poker players. Not talking about tournament players that get lucky in tourneys(or have a knack for playing correct strategy for a tournament). I'm talking about poker playing that play live for a living. Do you really think the likes of Mason mallmuth, david sklansky, lenny martin, barry tannenbaum, roy cooke would ever blow hundredss of thousands playing live poker? And they don't even have to be that great to not blow that kind of money. The answer is no! In fact they would almost all add to that bankroll. And they wouldn't eve have to be that good. There are many players in the 2+2 mid high limit section that would add to the bankroll and an extrememly small percentage would ever go broke. But i guess you know what you're talking about becasue you say so.

Granted part of the reason is because all the people i mentioned are smart enough to not play ridiculously high and risk going broke. But that is because they are smart poker players too. They know what kind of bankroll they need for what limits. But i bet if daniel came down and played the limits that these guys play he would not do as well as the players i have mentioned. The reason. I have 2. One i do not think he knows how to play correctly. His technical game would be off. And even if he knew proper strategy he would not execute because that is a grind. And daniel has too much gamble and impatiemnce to sit around and grind waiting for good situations. And his ego would tell him he can play any 2 and beat the grinders. QWe have seen this beofre and what always happens to those guys? THEY GO BROKE!