Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 05:54 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Getting COMPLETELY and UTTERLY destroyed...

[ QUOTE ]
Folded to river bet: 58.

That is a serious, fundamental, basic problem.
Wow, I havent seen it that high in so long...its just scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

sample size of 122 for a binomial... might be a problem but you can't really say he's doing something horribly wrong from it. his AF, on the other hand, does scare me
Old 09-03-2005, 06:02 PM

Don't feel bad. I think what happened to you is you were not used to the aggression at 10/20 and a lot of your tactics that worked at the lower limits, bet-folding a lot and folding to bets when scare cards hit, did not work very well at 10/20. There is nothing to feel bad about, you just applied the wrong strategy to the situation-- it only took you 5k hands to figure it out, which is pretty fast in my opinion. Why would you think you should play any different if it had been working before for the entirety of your poker career? I wouldn't have. I know that each time I moved up in limits I have gotten destroyed-- yes, some of it was due to bad cards, but most of the time it was due to not knowing how to best play the new game. I would think about it, drop down while rebuilding and come back to the higher game. You have learned from your time at 10/20, and once you rebuild a little bit and get your confidence back, you will be ready to rock the 10/20, I am sure.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:04 PM

Ay, I know man, but I am sick of harping on people and their dismal sample sizes. If thats what they are going to post, that is what we are going to work with. The aggression numbers are just so insanely messed up that I was at a loss for words.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:09 PM

FWIW my aggression numbers have dropped a significant amount since jumping from 5/10 to 10/20. The biggest difference I've been focussing on from advice at 2+2 is to really try and get to showdown. This means I end up doing a lot more calling instead of the occasional raise and fold to 3-bet because a large number of these players can semi-bluff 3-bet with a hand you beat. I also find myself checking through a lot more turns with the intention of inducing a river bet so I don't have to call a turn c/r and river bet with a marginal hand.

Standard question as well of how many tables you're playing? The difference between two and three tables for me right now is astronomical in the amount of information/reads I can get beyond PA stats. Ask yourself if you're getting the detailed reads necessary to beat this game.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:20 PM

You really aren't folding too much. In fact, your fold% is lower then mine and I don't fold all that much.

The reason why your WTSD is so low is because you bet and raise people out of pots so much. Your call% is abysmal and it needs to go up. The reason why is because people bluff so much at this level and it is pointless to keep raising since they will just fold. Call more and let them keep showing down their bluffs instead of trying to stop them from bluffing. Your WTSD isn't low becuase you are folding winners. It is low becuase your AJ raises out JT on a A72 board. Milk those hands that have no shot against you.

Brad
Old 09-03-2005, 06:39 PM

[quoteI may be folding tons of hands that would have ended up being winners.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no "may" to it... you most definitely are!
Old 09-03-2005, 09:10 PM

Also, read How Good is Your Limit Holdem if u havent already. Many others on here agree w/ me (Nate and TT are two that enjoyed it) that it is one of the best books out there. Basically its a book that consists of 25 hands all in quizz format, u go through the hand, see how u did. The advice is solid and in consists of a great aggressive style.

See how u score, I guarenttee it will probably show u where u need to be betting/raising or folding more. And yeah, spend some time reading books and the forum, it should help u.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You really aren't folding too much. In fact, your fold% is lower then mine and I don't fold all that much.

The reason why your WTSD is so low is because you bet and raise people out of pots so much. Your call% is abysmal and it needs to go up. The reason why is because people bluff so much at this level and it is pointless to keep raising since they will just fold. Call more and let them keep showing down their bluffs instead of trying to stop them from bluffing. Your WTSD isn't low becuase you are folding winners. It is low becuase your AJ raises out JT on a A72 board. Milk those hands that have no shot against you.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best post of this thread and is spot on with what I have been telling warik on AIM. Use a little creativity instead of pound, pound, pound. Sometimes just check call all 3 streets with a stong holding. I even offerred to refer warik to one of my urology friends to take off a nut... way too much testosterone.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
one of my urology friends

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it odd that you have more than one of these
Old 09-04-2005, 04:04 AM

Good post, but it is simply not true that he is not folding many winners. 58% fold to river bet, this is insanely high and it wouldn't even work at the lower limits.