Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2004, 01:23 AM

Default Re: An Interesting WSOP scenario...

If you lose AA heads up pre-flop, then maybe its just not your lucky day. The point is to be in the money, in order to be in the money you have to win hands, you can't win by folding AA. This is the best scenario one could ask for.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:27 AM

Anyone who refuses to call in this situation should just get up from the table, tell the dealer to post and fold them, go for a long walk, and then come back after changing tampons.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:53 AM

No one who was chip leader on the first day has made it to the final table. It's something of a curse even.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:43 AM

Default LOL

awesome. totally awesome.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:58 AM

Default what?

[ QUOTE ]
You can't walk away from that, if for any other reason than folding lets your opponet know VERY EARLY that you can be bossed, bluffed and out played.

[/ QUOTE ]
huh? if for some moronic reason you did fold, would you actually show the table you folded aces? for all he knew you folded 72o. if, however, you actually did fold and show, the binion's armed guards would probably come over to the table and lead you out of the building with a shotgun up your a$$.

[ QUOTE ]
Those veterans are unlikely to make that call, and if they did, then I can say I went head to head with the worlds best and they didn't back me down an inch.

[/ QUOTE ]
wow. you had the best posible hand and didn't back down pre-flop. what a brave soul.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:14 AM

Default Re: what?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Those veterans are unlikely to make that call, and if they did, then I can say I went head to head with the worlds best and they didn't back me down an inch.

[/ QUOTE ]
wow. you had the best posible hand and didn't back down pre-flop. what a brave soul.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. That was funny. I can picture it now.

What? I'm tired of you trying to push me around. You think you can get me to fold every time? No way. I have to make a stand and I'm going to do it right now with these two cards. I don't care how much you bet, I'm calling with these POCKET ACES.

Yep, they will think twice about messing with you once they see you make that kind of ballsy call.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:02 AM

I don't care who I'm playing against, I'm calling preflop. Whether I loose on the first hand or 1 hand out of the money, I still loose. If you plan to finish in the money of the WSOP, you will be making much riskier calls than that.

I also think this is a much better play against a superior poker player like Johny Chan or Doyle Brunson b/c they cannot outplay you. All their skills from years of practice got right out the window when you call that bet. You have the best hand and the only thing that can help them is luck. Unless they have AA too
Old 01-08-2004, 10:05 AM

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd have to play my aces every time. What I'd hate is going all-in on my first hand, after having spent $10,000 to get in. There is, of course, no better situation to be in given the circumstances, but I'd have a lot less stress building my stack slowly over the course of the day. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2004, 10:42 AM

I do thank you all for your thoughts and input, many of the posts were quite entertaining actually. The reason I posed this question was because up until this weekend, I didn't believe there was even a question to pose. You have aces, you call knowing you have to have the best of it. What I learned this weekend was that even in a situation as seemingly clear cut as that, there are other schools of thought, and other things to consider (even if those schools of thought are by far the minority). Thats whats great about the game of poker..there's always something to think about, and usually always an alterative way of playing in a certain situation.

And thanks to you guys, I've also learned that there are probably other situations much less clear cut that, as player constantly trying to improve his game, I should be focusing on....
Old 01-08-2004, 11:44 AM

In this case, we call those "alternative ways to play" 'WRONG'. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]