Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Re: 20-40 Hand

Mason,

Thanks for the response.

[ QUOTE ]
In other words, if people are coming in with absolutely everything, you have got to raise with an AQ simply because your hand is so much better on average than so many of the other players.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this game was good, 8-way pots for one bet were not typical (and pretty much aren't typical for any online midlimit game). I also think, while these players are loose, "absolutely anything" is probably a stretch (ie. they aren't coming with K6o). I think raising or calling preflop here is close, but I still prefer my line with this many limpers in the game I was in. Though it's been a good discussion b/c I would virtually never have considered raising AQo in this spot after 5 limpers before this thread. Thanks for taking the time.

Jeff
Old 09-27-2005, 08:36 AM

Default RESULTS

I raised the turn. If the turn wasn't a heart, I just call, but I didn't want to give him a cheap walk if he had a 4-flush. Without the flush draw being out, raising wouldn't make sense b/c it's a situation where he either has a worse ace, trips or a bluff.

In this case, I raised but I kind of think a call might be better. I was planning on folding to a 3-bet, but he just called. The river bricked off. He checked, I bet and he called. He showed Q7o and MHING. So obviously...

I should have raised preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Jeff
Old 09-27-2005, 08:58 AM

i don't like the raise preflop, i think limpin against 8 players is probably optimum
Old 09-27-2005, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the reply Mason. There was a thread not that long ago about the same situation (like always)where I did go back to it.

I was referring to the part where calling is correct, like you mentioned, because the OP didn't say the other players were horrible or limped with any two cards.

I think the case should be made that, rather than just the amount of equity AQ has there, having late position with it makes raising the correct play. Regardless of how good the players are when there's that many of them in.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the reply Mason. There was a thread not that long ago about the same situation (like always)where I did go back to it.

I was referring to the part where calling is correct, like you mentioned, because the OP didn't say the other players were horrible or limped with any two cards.

I think the case should be made that, rather than just the amount of equity AQ has there, having late position with it makes raising the correct play. Regardless of how good the players are when there's that many of them in.

[/ QUOTE ] agreed
Old 09-27-2005, 02:41 PM

Hi SA125:

Here's where your thinking is going wrong. If you raise with the ace-queen, your raise will show a profit. However, the question is if you don't raise with ace-queen, will your increased after the flop expectation now make up for the positive expectation that you give up before the flop.

Best wishes,
Mason