Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Is my friend a douchebag?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Before I left on my trip, my friend offered me a ride to the airport (and to pick me up when I get back) in exchange for me taking him (and picking him up) when he heads out of town in two weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]
This strikes me as strange. Doesn't sound like you're that great of friends.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my thought.

Like one of the key friendship tests is uncondtional airport rides.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:09 AM

Give him the 500$ and tell him to go [censored] himself.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:16 AM

1. Your friend is an as[/i]shole, not a douchebag. Douchebag is a great word that is overused, especially on OOT, and it doesn't apply here.

2. You don't owe this guy anything, but decide how much his friendship is worth to you. If you really think the friendship is over if you don't pay, and if you think it's worth spending $250 to keep it, then pay him the $250.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Your friend is an as[/i]shole, not a douchebag. Douchebag is a great word that is overused, especially on OOT, and it doesn't apply here.

2. You don't owe this guy anything, but decide how much his friendship is worth to you. If you really think the friendship is over if you don't pay, and if you think it's worth spending $250 to keep it, then pay him the $250.

[/ QUOTE ]

no friendship can be summed up in money. if someone is going to end a friendship over $5 or $5million, then it was not a real friendship.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:30 AM

Unless you somehow distracted him or in some other way contributed to him crashing, you have no reason to pay him anything. He drove, he crashed, he pays.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

...so that's the reason for the post...

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'll back off and change my opinion of you. (I know that just makes you all giddy!)

You sound sincere and I believe you truly don't want to bust up a friendship. I don't blame you. Real friends are damned near impossible to find, much less keep.

The guy's being a tad unreasonable, not really thinking clearly about the effect this could have on your relationship and just might be having money problems.

Be the true friend. Suck it up (I know, the idea sux), tell him you've changed your mind and offer him the money. If he's a true friend, sooner or later (Utopia would be right then and there) I think he's going to feel bad, get honest with himself and accept that in truth the accident was his fault and full responsibility. If he's able, he'll return the money.

At some point in the not-too-distant future, your friendship is probably going to be tested again. Hopefully, for both of you, you work it out in a win-win manner.

Good luck.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:33 AM

I think you should try and discuss this rationally. I find this is the best way to resolve monetary arguments with friends.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:41 AM

What is the gap in ability to pay? Is he going to have to not buy formula for his newborn because you aren't paying half?

If I were much better off than him or if he were going to have to stretch to pay I would pay half or even all if it were really extreme. I do think it's strange that he asked you to though.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:54 AM

You don't owe him [censored].

If he harrasses you about it enough, pay him the $250 and then [censored] his girl.

BTW you are no longer friends.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:05 AM

E-mail him a link to this thread.