Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Play poker --> Bad person?

Just thought it was about time that someone said that you have made some good points mosdef.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Konsum,

You are not a bad person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I feel so much better now! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. The essence of being a good poker player is making good decisions. In poker our object of the game is to make the most money. In social interactions, the object is completely different. That's why I think that this theory is majorly flawed.

[/ QUOTE ]

In poker the way to success is to take advantage of other people, in social life is not the way be but you often have that option.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not if you have a stable personality

[/ QUOTE ]

Even stable personalities change from habit and experience..
Old 08-04-2005, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Am I an evil guy because I take advantage of idiots who risk their money player poker on the internet? No. I have no secret advantage, no hidden Ace. The forums & books I've read are available to anyone. However, I don't have a win at all costs attitude, the same as in my business life outside of poker. I think when you develop this type of attitude is when you really get in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

First I just want to state that I don’t think you are an evil guy. But when you “take advantage” of “idiots” that certainly does not sound very kind. Secondly, how do you play poker online without a win at all costs attitude to the game? Do you sometimes lay down a good hand because the opponent has already lost so much money? Need to be encouraged or said he was going broke?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Good people are found in almost all endeavors, including poker players. Many are involved in public service and charitable activities. It's entirely possible to be a tenacious and fair competitor at the table and a good citizen away from the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Off course you are right but I didnt state that poker players are bad, however, maby playing a lot of poker can change your caracter in a bad way?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:27 AM

There is a difference between a ruthless poker strategy that aims to take all the other players chips/money & the "win at all costs" attitude. Yes I play to win every time(online at least) and I take no hostages, and I give no freebies. However, I feel like the win at all costs type is someone who would collude, cheat in any way possible, take unfair advantages, etc. Maybe its hard to explain in writing, but to me there is a huge difference.

This applies also to B&M poker in a greater way. You can be out to crush your opponent, take his whole stack and still buy him a beer when hes broke. You can also take his whole stack, make fun of his not_so_great plays, then taunt him as he leaves the table.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2. i don't think you can choose to view poker as a game with no winners and losers. when you win, someone else is losing. that's guaranteed. when you win, someone else could win, sure. but SOMEONE has to lose. EVERY poker game has winner and losers (or, potentially all losers if no one beats the rake). in business, it is possible to have no losers, depending on how you define losers. sure, there will always be people that make more money that others, but it's possible, actually fairly common, in business for everyone in a transaction come out ahead. not so in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't get your point. poker is entertainment and many people pay for it. that means playing poker produces a good like a cinema, theater etc. if someone visits a show, he does basically the same as a loser who plays poker: he pays for his entertainment. in a strictly monetarian view, economy is a sero sum game too (excluding the activity of the central bank). someone produces a good and someone else pays to get it.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

poker is entertainment and many people pay for it. that means playing poker produces a good like a cinema, theater etc. if someone visits a show, he does basically the same as a loser who plays poker: he pays for his entertainment. in a strictly monetarian view, economy is a sero sum game too (excluding the activity of the central bank). someone produces a good and someone else pays to get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could off course be wrong but I find that the thought about people who like to play and loose money for fun a bit to spread throu this forum. Ritch people in livegames, yes maby. But do you honestly belive that there is more than a never so small number, that actually sit online on low limit tables (where I guess most of us play) because they think it's a fun way to spend money?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In poker the way to success is to take advantage of other people

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is necessarily true. Success in poker comes from making more correct decisions than your opponents. You are not necessarily taking advantage of anyone. I'm not saying it doesn't ever happen - but the point of the game is to minimize mistakes and make correct decisions. That's more important than the predatory aspects of the game. I worry more about improving my play than finding newbies or degenerate gamblers to prey on. In a way, I find it almost like playing chess against a computer - I'm just trying to play my best each round, and I don't give much thought to the emotions of those at the table with me. That's not to say I am an uncaring person - I like to think I am. It's just that when playing a game my only goal is to play my best. I cannot control the hundreds of reasons that may have led a bad player to sit down at my table. I can only control my own decisions on each hand.

When I win I don't feel like I took advantage of anyone. And when I have a losing session, even against an obviously superior opponent, I don't feel like I was taken advantage of. I just got outplayed.