Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2005, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Has WSOP gotten too big?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like your system, it should stay open. However raising the enterence fee to $20-25,000 isn't a bad idea (inflation would make it like 50,000 today, but I think that's too much).

[/ QUOTE ]

But hardly anybody besides the big pros, celebrities, and rich people are putting down the cash out of their own pockets, and if they can afford $10K, they can afford $25K. How will raising the entry fee limit the thousands of players who are getting in on satellites?
Old 11-12-2005, 03:50 AM

I don't pretend to be a economic whiz in these matters, but I would imagine that the demand for playing in the ME can't go anywhere but down. To amateurs, NL hold'em can only be interesting for so long. To sites offering to stake seats, the economics will ultimately catch up to them. The dot-com bubble will burst once again.

That's not to say that poker retreats to pre-Moneymaker levels, but it can't sustain itself at this level for so long, and I think there will be a balance met that will make the WSOP a major thing, but not the circus that it has become the last two years.

Just my opinion.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:16 AM

It seems reasonable to say that pokers popularity will eventually flatten out(I still think it will be at least 2-4 more years on the rise), but don't you think that with 50+ million poker players in the world that at least 10,000 of them will make their way to Vegas for a shot at ~$10,000,000 and a World Championship bracelet?

I think the WSOP will become as big as Harrahs wants it to get. It's all about the benjamins - poker players and casions love big money.

Does 20,000 entrants seem impossible?

-TripKings
Old 11-14-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems reasonable to say that pokers popularity will eventually flatten out(I still think it will be at least 2-4 more years on the rise), but don't you think that with 50+ million poker players in the world that at least 10,000 of them will make their way to Vegas for a shot at ~$10,000,000 and a World Championship bracelet?

I think the WSOP will become as big as Harrahs wants it to get. It's all about the benjamins - poker players and casions love big money.

Does 20,000 entrants seem impossible?

-TripKings

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker popularity has leveled off and probably going to fall a little bit but probably not totally die off. I really cant see that many entrants happening ever.