Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Re: BIG PAPI = M V P

[ QUOTE ]
And I don't really believe he's a below average 3rd basemen. I have to believe that his presence there has something to do with DJ's defensive stats going from terrible to pretty good since A-Rod has joined the Yanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arod's pretty good with the leather at third, IMO. But why would you think that his presence would improve Jeter's defense?
Old 09-13-2005, 01:49 AM

I think MetsGeek tracks it for all Mets games.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And I don't really believe he's a below average 3rd basemen. I have to believe that his presence there has something to do with DJ's defensive stats going from terrible to pretty good since A-Rod has joined the Yanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arod's pretty good with the leather at third, IMO. But why would you think that his presence would improve Jeter's defense?

[/ QUOTE ]

probably a range factor thing
Old 09-13-2005, 02:29 AM

Don't play the field? No MVP.

KJS
Old 09-13-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A-Rod would essentially cover more ground at third, "leeching" balls from what the SS should get. The Yanks always had solid 3Bmen (Ventura, Boone), but A-Rod is a gold glove SS...
Old 09-13-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ortiz is one of the top 4 or 5 hitters in the AL, but when you factor in that he is a DH, I believe several others pass him in "value." This is based on pure rate stats and doesn't include any "clutch" factors.

[/ QUOTE ]

First you claim there are a dozen players with better stats than Ortiz in the AL, now you claim Ortiz is only in the top 4 or 5 in the AL.

Its just a suggestion, but maybe you could try actually looking at his stats? They are rivaled only by ARod's.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ortiz is one of the top 4 or 5 hitters in the AL, but when you factor in that he is a DH, I believe several others pass him in "value." This is based on pure rate stats and doesn't include any "clutch" factors.

[/ QUOTE ]

First you claim there are a dozen players with better stats than Ortiz in the AL, now you claim Ortiz is only in the top 4 or 5 in the AL.

Its just a suggestion, but maybe you could try actually looking at his stats? They are rivaled only by ARod's.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and Jason Giambi... and Travis Hafner... and Vladimir Guerrero...
Old 09-13-2005, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and gary sheffield and mark texiria and maybe manny ramirez
Old 09-13-2005, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A-Rod would essentially cover more ground at third, "leeching" balls from what the SS should get.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine there is really that much overlap between what a good defensive SS should reach and what Arod can reach, at least as a percentage of total chances. Is it because the defensive stats simply penalize the shortstop for any ball that goes through the hole, and therefore Arod helps by covering his half of it?
Old 09-13-2005, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and gary sheffield and mark texiria and maybe manny ramirez

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd put those guys right a step below Papi. Basically it goes like this for hitting stats:

A-Rod in an otherwordly plane by himself.

Jason Giambi, who'd be there if he'd played more.

Ortiz, Vlad, and Hafner.

Sheff, Manny, Roberts, Miggy, Big Sexy

Konerko, Varitek, David Dellucci, Mike Sweeney, Mike Young, Jhonny Peralta, Derek Jeter, Victor Martinez...

I think once you adjust for position it looks something like this:

A-Rod
Miggy
Roberts
Mike Young
Vlad
Jetes
Teixeira
Giambi/Ortiz/Hafner

I'd say the gap between A-Rod and Cookie Monster is like 40 runs. Yeah, maybe Ortiz makes it up in clutchiness.