Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Re: A simple question : for those who want to outlaw abortion

[ QUOTE ]
If you really believe a fetus is a human being, you should use the same standards as murder/manslaughter.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now, that comes into a very difficult case. I personally, don't know whether or not a fetus is a human being. I personally don't think that the police should actively investigate something. I don't want my tax dollars invested in a case that would prove difficult to prosecute without a body, and especially without anyone to vouch for the victim here. I think it would be very hard to try to convict someone of murder for aborting their fetus, especially with a bunch of biased people on the jury.

That's just me.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:06 AM

So you think that OJ and Jackson should never have been tried on the grounds it would be costly and likely fruitless.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you think that OJ and Jackson should never have been tried on the grounds it would be costly and likely fruitless.

[/ QUOTE ]
Look at my first sentence in the previous post. And OJ should have been easily convicted by a competent prosecution and a more informed jury.

Right now, he would have been convicted easily. They had tons of evidence in that case, far more than what they would have in an abortion trial.

I think the lack of forensics would be a real issue for most cases.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:30 AM

This is becomming quite funny.

Who is to determine when a case is "too diffucult" to be worth prosecuting? What grounds should we use?

If a homeless person is found dead by gunshot in a dumpster should we not bother investigating because it will be too diffucult to get a conviction.

And what gives you the right to determine what the jury should have found. Are we going to overturn jury decisions whenever you feel they are wrong.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, that comes into a very difficult case. I personally, don't know whether or not a fetus is a human being.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing at all difficult about this case.

If a fetus is not a human being, then abortion is not murder and there is no basis for criminalizing it in the first place.

q/q
Old 07-12-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now, that comes into a very difficult case. I personally, don't know whether or not a fetus is a human being.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing at all difficult about this case.

If a fetus is not a human being, then abortion is not murder and there is no basis for criminalizing it in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]
What if you don't know whether or not a fetus is a human being? If a fetus is a human being, and if it not, it is pretty clearcut. But what if you honestly have no idea how the rights of a fetus should be weighed against the rights of a baby, or a mother?

And lehighguy, yeah, you investigate. But there's a body there. Makes a helluva lot of difference. What I'm saying here is that how do you decide whether or not this is worth prosecuting, considering that a fetus may not be worth what a baby is, and considering the difficulty of the prosecution?
Old 07-12-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But what if you honestly have no idea how the rights of a fetus should be weighed against the rights of a baby, or a mother?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've already made that judgment, the moment you decided that abortion should be criminalized.

q/q
Old 07-12-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
But what if you honestly have no idea how the rights of a fetus should be weighed against the rights of a baby, or a mother?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've already made that judgment, the moment you decided that abortion should be criminalized.

[/ QUOTE ]
Probability and hedging your bets should be known to every single 2+2er out there.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't see how anyone can disagree with what QoQ is saying here. Clearly if you don't believe a fetus to be a human than it can't have the protection afforded a human.

if you can't determine that a fetus is a form life worth protecting with law than you shouldn't be taking the position that abortion should be illegal.

this is quite clear IMO.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Probability and hedging your bets should be known to every single 2+2er out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your being very casual with people's freedom. Your hedging and not being able to make a decision would still result in people being prosecuted. thus you have effectively decided that a fetus is a life worth punishing people for harming.