Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Stop\'N\'Go

[ QUOTE ]
What was this for?[ QUOTE ]
bingo.

[/ QUOTE ]

My only point about raising KQo or AJo is that most people don't. And from a pure equity standpoint there's really not that much difference - so if we're not raising AJ/KQ then not raising AQ can't be too bad either.

In a smaller pot (3-4 players) I'm leaning a lot more towards raising. I didn't even realize that there was a poster - which was probably a multi-tabling miss - but that would change things as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Crunchy you sound to me like you have a good understanding of how to play this game. You already understand that raising AQo from the blind with 4 or more people committed comes down to more than some stupid pokerstove computation or some supposed small equity edge. And your turn play was excellent, checking here would be horrible poker, you must bet!! If your opponent has a 6 he will probably call you down drawing dead. The bets you gain when a person is drawing dead are much more valuable than a bet you gain when a person is drawing very live. Plus if you check he may check his draw and again you lose out. There is absolutely no reason to check this turn. About the flop play. I like the 3 bet and lead play more than your play but I dont think that your play is all that bad either. Overall you played this hand well, And it's nice to see that you already have the wisdom not to follow someones silly advice based on pokerstove.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the bingo was of agreement. i like your play on the turn. i think your reasoning was solid. your play was in-line with your reasoning.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah... it just wasn't immediately apparent w/o a quote.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:44 AM

I raise preflop. And I raise AJ and KQ os here too. You have an edge, you should push it. A preflop raise doesn't commit you to the flop, although it makes it easier to play when all you have is overcards. It widens your range and gets more people to call when you raise with monsters like AA-KK. I am only checking here with AJ,KQ and AQ when at least one of the callers is known to limp with stuff like AK, or most the table is a rock garden.

I might also 3-bet this flop; he could be raising with a weaker ace that he assumes is good because of no PF raise. (AJ-A9 come to mind.) When your turn card hits your betting out is great, though. I don't want to go for a check raise and run the risk that he might fold. The confusion of the stop n' go is enough to make him call down with a 6, and perhaps occasionally a flush draw if he thinks his Kx suited might have high card potential.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:11 PM

Why not just 3-bet the flop planning to lead the turn for value? Combinatrix-wise, you're 50/50 for an ace/six (shifted a bit in your favor for low pps), but I think the fact that he raised the flop makes it more likely he has an ace here.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think good
Why didn't you raise pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because, in spite of a probable equity advantage things are going to change greatly one way or the other on the flop and I'm out of position against 4 players. Since I'm already in I'm content to see a flop and then decide how to best protect (or get value from) my hand in what's already getting to be a decent-sized pot.

Basically, not raising PF leaves me the option to checkraise the flop if I so choose. On this flop, with the board paired, a 2-flush, and likely the best hand I thought leading out with what is probably large equity advantage was the best way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect. I love this answer. I think a lot of people see AQo and instinctivly raise it up. Raising AQo is not always the best way to go IF
1) You are out of position.
2) A raise won't protect your hand at all.

Always know WHY you want to raise.

EDIT: and looking at pokerstove numbers. I think those are for hands at showdown. It is tough to use those numbers unless you are a calling station that will call down with anything. As far as varying play. Show your unraised AQ. You'll be surprised at the respect you get when you next raise TJs from the BB and lead the flop.

EDIT: I Play 3/6 and 4/8 live so mileage may vary.

LLL
Old 09-21-2005, 01:17 PM

I was reading back through the thread and realized something I was going to mention earlier but apparantly never did. A lot of people are advocating a flop 3-bet. I just want to say that if it's still multi-way after the flop raise I think it's a no-brainer to 3-bet. Given that it was HU I think a smooth call with the intention of leading the turn is a pretty good plan. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 09-21-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: I Play 3/6 and 4/8 live so mileage may vary.

[/ QUOTE ]
In my limited recent B&M experience those limits play pretty close LIVE to how 2/4 plays online.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:24 PM

im 3 betting flop and leading turn. if he caps i would reevaluate. the way you played it you have to donkbet.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was reading back through the thread and realized something I was going to mention earlier but apparantly never did. A lot of people are advocating a flop 3-bet. I just want to say that if it's still multi-way after the flop raise I think it's a no-brainer to 3-bet. Given that it was HU I think a smooth call with the intention of leading the turn is a pretty good plan. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

[/ QUOTE ]
My thought is that it costs you .5 BB WAY more often than anything else.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that it was HU I think a smooth call with the intention of leading the turn is a pretty good plan. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean that you plan to lead the turn even if it isn't another ace, correct? Are you planning on lead-calling or lead-3betting?