Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 06:35 AM

Default Re: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Review

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's got a very high 7.8/10 rating on IMDB right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most new movies do. Star Wars 3 was like #32 in the top 250 for a while. Give it a few weeks and they'll come down some.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it'll regress to about a high 6 or a low seven.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You know... it was a book to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

This means nothing in this argument. Willy Wonka is still the original movie. Charlie is the remake.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I love when people try to be funny and sound dumb. Charlie is the original, as in the book. Willy Wonka was the movie where they changed the name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain how I sound dumb? I was correcting the OP so there was no confusion for anybody else. The remake is called Charlie & The Chocolate Factory and the original movie is called Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory.

[/ QUOTE ]

How's it a remake when the movie isn't the source material Charlie draws from? It's the second adaptation of the book. That doesn't make it a remake, they're two separate entities.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Johnny Depp.

[/ QUOTE ]

he has nice teeth
Old 07-24-2005, 09:19 AM

I thought the movie was good, and I definitely think it is better than the first adaptation of the book. With Tim Burton you have to expect a darker version, and while I agree that the father stuff was a little overdone, this movie stayed truer to the book overall. Sure, they cut the part with Charlie and Grampa Joe floating up to the fan (which wasn't in the book anyhow) but that also made for a weird situation where Charlie defied WW but still won the prize. This version was definitely better and as far as the message for children, it was a better message about realizing that your family loves you and is just trying to protect you. The oompa-loompa's were a little disappointing in some ways, but much better in others, especially in their interaction with WW and the backstory. In any case, its definitely worth seeing. I plan on seeing it a second time since I too had to see it without being high this first time and I know that will increase my enjoyment of the movie.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:57 PM

Saw the movie a few days ago. My only regret is not watching this thing after a few joints. Man, that would've been wicked.

Lawrence
Old 07-25-2005, 12:16 PM

Just saw it last night.

It's been a while since I've read the book, so I can't speak to whether this was more true to the original story than the first movie was.

However, the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp interpretation of Willy Wonka was definitely different than the Gene Wilder interpretation.

I didn't enjoy the movie. My main problem was that there's too much of a story to be told focusing on Charlie and the chocolate factory itself to fully develop the Willy Wonka storyline. It came across as trite, in my opinion.

-McGee