Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2004, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Why do people wear sunglasses in low-limit and mid-limit holdem ga

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Phil Hellmuth usually wears a hat and glasses...Want him at your table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on the advice on limit hold'em in his book, yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really....May want to consider his 7 WSOP titles being voted the best player in the world by his peers..And being the top money maker of all time (excluding the 04 WSOP 5 million prize). I am sure you have a good game, but don't over do it.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Why do people wear sunglasses in low-limit and mid-limit holdem games?

i see your point but dont stereotype people who wear glasses. to be completely honest i love glasses and a hat cause i can look at people without them knowing and it helps me with giving away my tells(yes i know overrated but still). i am more at ease. it makes me comfortable and if i cant be comfortable at a table than i couldnt give 2 s h i t s if a fish doesnt wanna play with me. but immitators give those who actually use glasses for a reason a bad name so i understand your frustration
Old 07-13-2004, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Why do people wear sunglasses in low-limit and mid-limit holdem games?

LOL. Great reply.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Really....May want to consider his 7 WSOP titles being voted the best player in the world by his peers..And being the top money maker of all time (excluding the 04 WSOP 5 million prize).

[/ QUOTE ]

phil is an excellent, well respected tournament player. he is also a notorious cash game fish.

--turnipmonster
Old 07-13-2004, 02:59 PM

They wear them for the same reason they wear them at the higher limits --- because they're cooler than me.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Phil Hellmuth usually wears a hat and glasses...Want him at your table?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really....May want to consider his 7 WSOP titles being voted the best player in the world by his peers..And being the top money maker of all time (excluding the 04 WSOP 5 million prize). I am sure you have a good game, but don't over do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Luckily" for me, if he's at my table he'll be playing limit hold'em.

Did you miss the part of my post where I said:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]?

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Disappointing Things to Learn For the First Time:

-The Tooth Fairy isn't real
-Phil Hellmuth sucks at limit hold'em cash games
Old 07-13-2004, 05:39 PM

I'm not sure what I'll do when I finally learn to play B&M. I love my sunglasses but I don't usually wear them indoors.

Meanwhile let me observe that I have frequently benefited from eye tells at *chess*. That's right, chess. Many times while a player is calculating his eyes will lock on the section of the board where the principal action is happening. If I look up and see my opponent staring at an unexpected spot, I reexamine the position to see what it is that he could be thinking about. Often I see something I was completely oblivious to.

So until I get first-hand experience I'm going to be a little skeptical of those who say that sunglasses couldn't possibly help me win at poker.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:51 PM

Well, I don't know if sunglasses give people an advantage or not.

Whenever I see someone playing low-limit at a B&M with sunglasses on, I can't help but think "cheese-dick."

Is he a better player than me? I dunno. I s'pose if he is, we're both getting what we want. He's getting my money, and my pedantic misanthropic douchebag need to see pompous inflated egos at work is being fed.

That's the nice thing about the world. There's balance like that.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:02 PM

What I mean is only an idiot whould judge a person who is likley to be trying to influence you by his clothes is an idiot. Some people dress like torist, some dress like bums.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:09 PM

Some people name them selves after a character in Rounders. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JK man. No offense intended.