Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Re: 15/30 AKs

3-betting is really hot, but what happens if he calls the turn, are you firing out a blank river?
Old 10-31-2005, 08:32 PM

Hey Jason,

Bakku and I talked about this hand while driving home last night, and we agreed you should just call and check the river no matter what it is, sometimes planning to call and sometimes raise (like if you improve). Sure you sometimes have the best hand on the turn, but if you do, he is likely to bluff at the river too so you will pick up a bet that way. This way you don't open yourself up to getting 4 bet if he actually has trips, and he is never folding a better hand. I think you get as much value by letting him bluff the river too, as you do by 3 betting the turn. Also it puts you in a tough spot on the river, and I think it allows him to play pretty optimally against you when you don't improve.

-DeathDonkey
Old 10-31-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Jason,

Bakku and I talked about this hand while driving home last night, and we agreed you should just call and check the river no matter what it is, sometimes planning to call and sometimes raise (like if you improve). Sure you sometimes have the best hand on the turn, but if you do, he is likely to bluff at the river too so you will pick up a bet that way. This way you don't open yourself up to getting 4 bet if he actually has trips, and he is never folding a better hand. I think you get as much value by letting him bluff the river too, as you do by 3 betting the turn. Also it puts you in a tough spot on the river, and I think it allows him to play pretty optimally against you when you don't improve.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this. I was first thinking 3-bet it but I couldn't convince myself it was the right play. Calling didn't seem right either until you have your plan for the river. Nice post.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:23 PM

Why do you want to raise this? Its already HU and you're oop. Your opponent openraised from CO so its very possible he has a Q, T, or PP. You're behind most hands he'd raise this turn with and given your description, I think you can find a much better spot to 3 bet.

I also think that you need to be the river if you hit a flush draw b/c its too likely he checks behind w/scared trip Qs. People who tend to raise only the nuts also check behind when the scar card comes. When the flush card hits, it has the potential to become a situation where he will bet when he has a FH but check if he has a pair or trip Qs which is a bad situation for you.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3-betting is really hot, but what happens when he calls the turn, are you firing out a blank river?

[/ QUOTE ]

this thread needed a FYP... and more from The Daver

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]