Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Hold\'em Scumbags

Without addressing whether or not you're correct about Hold Em players, I do feel compelled to point out that civility and intelligence are entirely passe, and often ridiculed in our modern world. If indeed Hold Em players display such negative traits, it's only because they're on top of current trends.

As for your other point: Why wouldn't you want your opponent to cap the betting with a 4J. Sounds like a game I'd like to be in.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:21 PM

Hey toots,

I think having a maniac capping it with J4 is overrated in terms of making it a good game. I've been in games late night where it drove people away and ended up making the table shorthanded. Plus it usually cuts down on implied odds, because not as many people see the flop and because the maniac usually slows down if he misses completely. Its a case of reverse implied odds. In addition, it increases variance.

Give me a good Stud game instead. Same or better expected return, lower variance, and no scumbags!
Old 11-04-2004, 01:58 PM

Good answer.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:41 PM

Thank you.

Mason, if you are out there, feel free to include an essay titled "Hold'em Scumbags" in Poker Essays 4. It could be included in either the 'Structure' section or 'In The Cardrooms'.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:20 PM

I dunno. Is there a more miserable population than Atlantic City $1-3 or $1-5 stud players? <shudder>
Old 11-04-2004, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello, anyone else out there automatically hate all the other players when they join an online hold'em table? In particular the lowlifes that inhabit the 6 man tables?

It may not seem like it, but I sort of mean this to be a serious thread. I don't feel this way when I play Omaha8b, Stud, or Stud8b. Why do I hate the hold'em players so much?

Maybe its because I always think I'm losing a pot to some goofball who learned his craft solely by watching WPT reruns?

Maybe its because its alot more obvious in hold'em that they sucked out?

Maybe its the great deal of luck in between starting hands and what happens on the flop?

Maybe its because I don't consider a person to be a true poker player unless they play a game other than hold'em?

Maybe its because I consider the other games to be more skillful?

Maybe most hold'em players are scumbags and lowlifes, and I'm just really good at reading people?

Maybe I have issues? lol

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading all your posts in this thread, the obvious conclusion is:

<font color="white"> you don't play Holdem very well </font>
Old 11-04-2004, 05:18 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
In Hold'em, after your first bet you get to see 3 new cards. In Stud, you only get 1 more card at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least be consistent with your comparison.

In stud, you get to 'see' up to 5 or 6 more cards every round. You get more information on other hands as the hand progresses. Much more than you do in holdem.

b
Old 11-04-2004, 05:20 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
You don't see anyone capping it in a Stud8b, capping it preflopwith a (4J)9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't you want to see this happening more often? I would. Is this a thinly veiled, 'I can't beat loose/bad players' post?

b
Old 11-04-2004, 05:29 PM

Quite simply, I meant that you only get one more card after the first betting round for your hand.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:51 PM

Jeff, I would think the same thing if I read my post. But I am a winning player. In particular, I believe I'm exceptionally good in adapting to loose games.

But I don't play online hold'em, because for some reason it just makes me want to puke. I immensely enjoy playing the other games though.

Also, I just think the structure of the game, plus its popularity on TV has caused the game to be a breeding ground of untalented undesirables...