Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Italian hostage freed in Iraq, then shot by US soldiers

From The Independent newspaper this morning. Not sure where they got all this information from

[ QUOTE ]
The story began early on Friday afternoon when Mr Calipari and his team of military intelligence agents arrived in Baghdad from Abu Dhabi. After weeks of haggling, the ransom for Ms Sgrena had finally been agreed: at least $6m (£3.1m), according to the Italian press, and perhaps as much as $8m, had been handed over. The time and place for the release was settled.

Italy is well aware that its habit of paying large sums to secure the release of its nationals is disapproved of by the Americans and British. All negotiations are therefore carried on in secret. But at Baghdad airport Mr Calipari explained at the US headquarters what his team had come to do. It was arranged that an American colonel would be on hand at the airport when Ms Sgrena arrived for her flight back to Italy. By the time the team had rented a four-wheel drive it was already 5pm.

At 8.20pm, Mr Calipari's team reached the rendezvous on the outskirts of Baghdad. The vehicle they were looking for was there. Ms Sgrena's abductors had left her blindfolded in the back of the car. "I'm a friend of Pier and Gabriele," Mr Calipari said, naming Ms Sgrena's partner and editor. The 57-year-old journalist was a bundle of tension as they got her into their vehicle and left for the airport.

By now it was dark and pouring with rain. Baghdad is far too dangerous for people to go out after dark without excellent reason, and all scheduled flights had left. But the Italians decided that, with their plane waiting on the Tarmac, it was better to get Ms Sgrena home without delay.

They passed two American checkpoints along the airport road without incident and were 700 metres or so from the airport building. The road narrowed to a single, one-way lane and took a 90-degree turn. The car was going slowly now, approaching the end of the journey.

"At last I felt safe," Ms Sgrena said. "We had nearly arrived in an area under American control, an area more or less friendly, even if it was still unsettled."

Then, turning the corner, they found their progress baulked by an American tank. They were blinded by a powerful light. "Without any warning, any signal, we were bombarded with a shower of bullets," Ms Sgrena said. "The tank was firing on us, our car was riddled with bullets. Nicola tried to protect me, then his body slumped on top of mine, I heard his death rattle, then I felt a pain but I couldn't tell where I had been hit. Those who had fired came up to the car, but before I was taken to the American hospital there was an interminable wait, it's hard to know how long I was lying there wounded but perhaps it was 20 minutes."

[/ QUOTE ]

Independent story
Old 03-07-2005, 06:42 AM

Wait so I want to make sure Ive got the story right: lefT wing European media outlets are reporting that a communist anti-american journalist alleges that the US military acted improperly....

YYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNN....... .
Old 03-07-2005, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
US troops do not shoot randomly at cars unless provoked

[/ QUOTE ]

From the BBC today:

[ QUOTE ]
In a separate development on Monday, the Bulgarian Defence Minister, Nikolai Svinarov, announced that a Bulgarian soldier killed last week in Iraq was the victim of "friendly fire".

"Someone started shooting at our patrol from the west, and in the same direction... there was a unit from the US army," Mr Svinarov told a press conference.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-07-2005, 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lefT wing European media outlets

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard of The Independent being described as left wing?
Old 03-07-2005, 06:52 AM

Ok drop the first part...

YAWWWWWWN
Old 03-07-2005, 11:31 AM

"I've never heard of The Independent being described as left wing? "

I have. Its senior Middle East correspondent, Robert Fisk, is definitely to the left.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After weeks of haggling, the ransom for Ms Sgrena had finally been agreed: at least $6m (£3.1m), according to the Italian press, and perhaps as much as $8m, had been handed over.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wonderful. Now our boys are being put at more risk because of Italian money. I think they should read the story "If you give a mouse a cookie..." Thanks Italians![img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Then, turning the corner, they found their progress baulked by an American tank. They were blinded by a powerful light. "Without any warning, any signal, we were bombarded with a shower of bullets," Ms Sgrena said. "The tank was firing on us, our car was riddled with bullets.

[/ QUOTE ]
Parts of this add up and others don't. Firstly, this partly coincides with the U.S. military's story of using lights and shots to warn the car. What constitutes a warning for Ms Sgrena may not be the same as what constitutes a U.S. military patrol warning. And of course, the mental condition of Ms Sgrena is probably not the most lucid and rational of those present. Then she says that a tank was firing on their car. What? If a tank had fired at their car, even with it's .50 cal, the occupants of that car would all be dead. Besides that, there's just no reason to put your career and possibly your life at risk to fire on a car that's not posing a danger.

That's the reason why I'm suspicious of Sgrena's story. There's no reason for the U.S. to try and kill her and every reason to let a hostage be retrieved without incident.