Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Hockey

Bruins have some great lines up front, I'm happy with the chemistry and I think with Thornton getting back to form and Zhamnov getting ready to come back they will be sick. The defense is a bit rough and the biggest problem seems to be fatigue and penalties late in the game. We keep going into the third with one or two goal leads and getting overtaken and beaten. Conditioning and discipline need improvement, and I wish we could get one more good D-man. But Hannu has been great, really looking forward to seeing what he does with the increased time.

NT
Old 10-28-2005, 11:29 PM

Sens fan here. So far I'm really impressed with the team. Spezza, Heatley and Alfredsson have all been lighting it up. They've been getting vintage Hasek in nets -- and he was the real question mark this year. Both Redden and Chara are amongst the top defencemen in the league, and Phillips isn't too far behind.

They've started out the season 7-1, and have beaten the Leafs twice (though both wins came from a shoot-out), so I'm pretty happy. This might be the year they win it all.

It'll all come down to whether Hasek can stay healthy.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:51 AM

Flyers just lost 8-6, and I'm not so sure about this new brand of hockey. There becomes a point where too many goals kills the game.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As a Leafs fan, I'm pretty happy with things so far. Except for their top 2, the Leafs D has been shaky (so what else is new?), but Belfour has been his old self, and an alien that can play goal has possessed Tellqvist. Lindros is absolutely incredible this year.

I can safely say, the Leafs have been in every game they've played, and if not for collapsing totally for a few minutes in most of their games, they could have a much better record - especially in their losses to Ottawa.

When Sundin gets back, they'll be even better. I'm not sure who's going to play wing, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Lindros & Sundin playing together, with one of them on the left side.

The Leafs absolutely dominated Boston in the second period last night, but that goalie stood on his head. Incredible play, he stole that for the B's. Which is only fair, considering what happened Tuesday [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

By defense has been shaky you mean Berg and Belak have been shaky. God I hate Aki Berg, would you ber suprised if he went -82?
Old 10-29-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a Leafs fan, I'm pretty happy with things so far. Except for their top 2, the Leafs D has been shaky (so what else is new?), but Belfour has been his old self, and an alien that can play goal has possessed Tellqvist. Lindros is absolutely incredible this year.

I can safely say, the Leafs have been in every game they've played, and if not for collapsing totally for a few minutes in most of their games, they could have a much better record - especially in their losses to Ottawa.

When Sundin gets back, they'll be even better. I'm not sure who's going to play wing, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Lindros & Sundin playing together, with one of them on the left side.

The Leafs absolutely dominated Boston in the second period last night, but that goalie stood on his head. Incredible play, he stole that for the B's. Which is only fair, considering what happened Tuesday [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

By defense has been shaky you mean Berg and Belak have been shaky. God I hate Aki Berg, would you ber suprised if he went -82?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't hate Berg (I may be the only one). He's a 5th defenseman. Every team has one, and a few (NYR) would kill for a 5th d-man of his quality. He makes 1 or 2 mistakes a game, but for the most part, he's solid. Not flashy on offense, no big hits, but in the right spot. Unfortunatly, his mistakes are big ones.

Belak needs time to get used to playing D again. Once they figure out the rules, they'll need him to clear ou tthe front of the net. He showed in the Philly series last playoffs that he can stop big guys, like Primeau's line.

Their real problem is the forwards (Tucker et al are the biggest offenders) not helping on D. If you saw the Boston game on Thursday, the forwards spent the whole game waiting for the big pass, and they blew coverage on the GWG.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't hate Berg (I may be the only one). He's a 5th defenseman. Every team has one, and a few (NYR) would kill for a 5th d-man of his quality. He makes 1 or 2 mistakes a game, but for the most part, he's solid. Not flashy on offense, no big hits, but in the right spot. Unfortunatly, his mistakes are big ones.

Belak needs time to get used to playing D again. Once they figure out the rules, they'll need him to clear ou tthe front of the net. He showed in the Philly series last playoffs that he can stop big guys, like Primeau's line.

Their real problem is the forwards (Tucker et al are the biggest offenders) not helping on D. If you saw the Boston game on Thursday, the forwards spent the whole game waiting for the big pass, and they blew coverage on the GWG.

[/ QUOTE ]

How'd you like your Leafs tonight? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I quite enjoyed the game. Heatley had 4 goals, McGrattan broke Domi's nose, and Tucker was knocked unconscious after trying to take a few runs at Sens players.

Don Cherry was saying after the game that if Belfour doesn't stand on his head every game, the Leafs don't have a chance against the strong teams in the league. That was pretty evident tonight.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How'd you like your Leafs tonight? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I quite enjoyed the game. Heatley had 4 goals, McGrattan broke Domi's nose, and Tucker was knocked unconscious after trying to take a few runs at Sens players.

Don Cherry was saying after the game that if Belfour doesn't stand on his head every game, the Leafs don't have a chance against the strong teams in the league. That was pretty evident tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed the game last night (and I'm glad too). Every team has a stinker once and a while. Cherry's turned in to a big idiot this season. All he does is whine about the new rules. He's just a typical Leafs fan now. Complaining because they don't have 23 stars on the team.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:48 AM

Congrats to the Devils on a win the other night. Another blown two-goal lead by the Bruins. Again, we keep finding ways to lose games late.

Another shootout, and I'm not liking Glen Murray as one of the first wave of shooters. His thing is getting the puck off his stick quickly on one timers and passes in front of the net. He's not a deke-the-goalie, lot of moves kind of shooter. I was hoping Bergeron would follow Thornton and Samsonov, maybe next time. Although I could go the rest of the season without seeing another shootout and be happy.
*sigh* Gonna have to get used to it.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:10 AM

I could not believe they put up Glen Murray for that shootout as well. They are not the only team that has put up power forwards during the shootout, eventually teams/coaches will learn that you need to put up the fast-creative stickhandlers in for the shootouts.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:31 PM

Kings are doing good.

I like the new rules, especially allowing two-line passes.

Getting into the offensive zone is much easier now with more space and less obstruction.

JR is awesome.