Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 03:08 PM

Default Re: A hand Entity and I talked about

When I am playing well, I call the turn with AA and maybe fold the river.

When I am playing bad I 3-bet the turn and call down if capped.

As of late I think I've been 3-betting the river too. HELLO DOWNSWING!!!
Old 11-15-2005, 03:10 PM

This is a great discussion and I have little to add to what is already going on, but I will say:

If villain is going to put any money in on this river with any hand, he should probably be check-raising. In other words, game-theoretically, if villain is going to check this river, he needs to be checking with the intent of raising a one-pair hand reasonably often.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I am playing well, I call the turn with AA and maybe fold the river.

As of late I think I've been 3-betting the river too. HELLO DOWNSWING!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I will never have enough data on a TAG to know that they play perfectly. 16-1 is enough for me to call this river with AA and feel fine about it.

In the same vein, 19-1 is enough for me to call the river checkraise with JJ. In fact I wouldn't be able to respect myself if I laid down to a checkraise here, but maybe that's just a personal issue I need to solve. But it certainly wouldn't feel right to surrender this huge pot to a TAG who may or may not be david sklansky.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Did you miss that there is a Q on the board as well? 3-betting this turn with AA is not solid poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't miss it but chose to ignore it becasue I felt that the overriding issue had to deal with the ratio or relationship of Villain's hand being AA v KK. Clearly the turn Q puts villain in bigger trouble but it does not change the fact that AA is still a far superior holding on the turn than KK and therefore is significantly more likely to 3 bet the turn. It is still more likely, even if incorrect.

I am coming around a bit to seeing the value in a bet but getting 3 bet would suck, really suck.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pure spew, IMO. Stop doing that. Use your reads.

When a good player gives action on the flop but just calls your 3-bet and raises the turn, you're usually pretty hosed.

Edited to add, given the preflop, flop, board, etc... blah blah.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:19 PM

That's just the worst river though. Think about the hands he'll play like this, a K is just so ugly in that spot for AA.

In my original post was that I'd have to pay of with JJJ here, and I might do the same with AA, however, I tink there is a time when our read can supercede any pot size and we need to fold when we're beat.

The reason against that is just that we don't have a good enough read, but if we did, it's fold city.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it does not change the fact that AA is still a far superior holding on the turn than KK and therefore is significantly more likely to 3 bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess if Dids is the villain then you have a point.

But seriously, only spew monkeys 3-bet the turn with AA here against a fellow TAG.

Sorry Dids. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason against that is just that we don't have a good enough read, but if we did, it's fold city.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. But a pertinent question might be, "is a good enough read even possible online?"
Old 11-15-2005, 03:24 PM

I don't like the preflop cap given the situation. If your read is correct on the SB you aren't gaining anything w/the other two players in the hand. Given the SBs range and the other two with the frequency of overcards on the flop, just call the 3-bet w/JJ.

I like the idea of playing the flop faster and capping. As if he does have an overpair, AA, KK, the TAG will often c/r the turn and you'll get and extra BB. In addition if he's going to slow down w/AK, often he'll just check the turn here and you missed an SB.

Given the way you played it; I still bet the damn river. He'll have AA, AK enough to slow down and just call. It's thin but there is value in it.

If you checked the river:

misplayed on every street. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. But a pertinent question might be, "is a good enough read even possible online?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I make sweet online reads all the time.

But then I ignore them and do something dumb anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]