Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Going pro....

[ QUOTE ]
I've spent many hours every day reading and playing poker since the age of about 17..I am almost 23 just graduated college. I won 10k in past 2 months. Won 8k online (was up 11k, gave back 3k) took some time off and haven't returned. Partly this is because its the last 2 wks of college and I want to just party and partly because I don't want to give any back(games are softer in ac, more money.) Just wanted to inform the group and I will post my progress in the coming weeks. How does this relate to the going pro post for our age group? Here is my two cents...If you are itching on going pro...go ahead sit at that table for one week see who your up against day in and day out and decide for yourself if you want to take the plunge....o yeah...if it doesn't work your life isn't over...but unless your a trustfund baby yes you will have to start applying for jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

One week is not near long enough to know what you are
facing. Anyone who goes pro after a week or a month
has to face a higher rate of failure.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: One year as a \"pro\"

[ QUOTE ]
Trying to find your happiness out of a job could easily lead you to a life of depression when you wake up and realize that its not all that you thought it was cracked up to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement could just as easily apply to people who chose to play poker for a living.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:53 PM

Hey, Judge,

This is just a fascinating post and thread. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

My own experience is kind of at the opposite end of the scale. I am retired, and play poker (not all that well, I'm afraid!) for pleasure, a little money and the fun of learning to play a tough game. For me, turning it into a job would kill all the fun, and I'd probably quit playing.

One thing that struck me was this: a guy doing what you do needs to get out of the house, for exercise, recreation, and to break out of the rut.

Here in 'Vegas there are plenty of "24 Hr Fitness" centers. I go to one most mornings very early. You can get in a nice workout, with the added dividend of seeing some attractive young women in limited attire. I think the workout is very valuable in making me feel better both physically and mentally. Plus I have a few acquaintances there now, and it's nice to talk with them a little. You don't have to become a fitness nut, but 15-30 minutes on a machine should be possible with a little work, and will tone you up a little.

Going out for lunch, preferably with one or more friends, daily or nearly so, is a good outing that breaks the mold of isolation that can build up when you are in the house too much. Having some friends or "friendly acquaintances" will help with the depressing feelings of isolation that can build up.

One of the other posters here said a good thing: if you quit your job, and take your hobby of poker and turn it into your new job, you need a new hobby. Pick one. It will rest your mind and bring you back to your job/game with a fresh mind. "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

These are just a couple of ideas. I hope you find something in them to help you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

bill c
Old 06-26-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still would not recommend anyone do this and somewhat regret going down this road myself

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a little concerned about your post because it sounds like you do NOT want to play poker professionally. I think that you should return to a regualar job if poker is not making you happy. I have personally wanted to be a pro or semi-pro poker player, but do not yet have the skills. But when I acquire those skills I will probably give it a try. But the reason I would like to be a pro poker player does NOT revolve around the money, but instead I think I would enjoy it as a job, am a very competitive person, like the idea of no boss, and choosing own hours. However, if I ever choose to play poker professinally and find out that it is NOT as enjoyable as I had once thought, then I will get a job in another field that interests me, such as economics or psychology.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Soon I will publish in our internet magazine a revision of my appendix. I still have some reservations about playing pro, but the situation has changed enough to update my position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very weird: I was just thinking about that section of your book today. Glad you are rethinking it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]