Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's your favorite bagel ?
Plain 7 11.67%
Sesame 7 11.67%
Poppy 8 13.33%
Garlic 7 11.67%
Onion 4 6.67%
Everything 17 28.33%
Cinnamon Raisin 6 10.00%
Pumpernickel 1 1.67%
Other 1 1.67%
Don't eat bagels 2 3.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Because I like watching people lie...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
maybe you will be able to explain to me why the majority of economic professors are Republicans while the super-majority of professors in general are Democrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we accept this "fact" then maybe that will explain why if you put 10 economic professors in a room together, you will get 10 different answers to the question "Is the sky blue?"

[/ QUOTE ]

American Economic professors agree on the main issues. They don't give "10 different answers to the question "Is the sky blue?." Listed below are propositions and percentage of economists who agree.

1) A Ceiling on rents reduces the quantity and quality of housing available. 93%
-Democrats disagree with this:
I go to school in a city and I see signs posted everywhere about how "we the people" need to fight back against the evil landlords and demand the government to step in and make the housing cheaper. All this garbage is pushed by Democrats.
-Republicans agree with this

2) Tariffs and import quotas usually reduce general economic wellfare. 93%
-Democrats disagree with this

3) A minimum wage increases unemployment among young and unskilled workers. 79%

4) Effluent taxes and marketable pollution permits represent a better approach to pollution than imposition of pollution ceilings. 78%

I could find more examples if you wish, but you can see that economists think like Republicans, and vise versa. One of you asked what my point was; I think it's pretty obvious. Who knows how to handle the economy better than economists? Economists are majorily Republican, so that should tell you which economic approach is best for the country.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:59 PM

You are deluded.
Could you post some evidence for these numbers you are giving?

Here I'll do some too:

War is bad, but it is better than Famine. 88%
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
American Economic professors agree on the main issues. They don't give "10 different answers to the question "Is the sky blue?." Listed below are propositions and percentage of economists who agree.

1) A Ceiling on rents reduces the quantity and quality of housing available. 93%
- Democrats disagree with this:
I go to school in a city and I see signs posted everywhere about how "we the people" need to fight back against the evil landlords and demand the government to step in and make the housing cheaper. All this garbage is pushed by Democrats.
- Republicans agree with this

2) Tariffs and import quotas usually reduce general economic wellfare. 93%
- Democrats disagree with this

3) A minimum wage increases unemployment among young and unskilled workers. 79%
- Democrats disagree with this

4) Effluent taxes and marketable pollution permits represent a better approach to pollution than imposition of pollution ceilings. 78%

I could find more examples if you wish, but you can see that economists think like Republicans, and vise versa. One of you asked what my point was; I think it's pretty obvious. Who knows how to handle the economy better than economists? Economists are majorily Republican, so that should tell you which economic approach is best for the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Care to hear what I've discovered?

Political Science professors agree on the main issues. Listed below are the propositions and percentage of political science professors who agree:

1) Republicans are pure evil and hate poor people. 85%

- Republicans disagree with this, but then again, they're evil. I work with some Republicans. Trust me, they're evil.
- Democrats agree with this

2) Democrats are kinda' girlie. 25%

- Republicans agree with this, and cite that Democrats like gay people and windsuring, so - you draw your own conclusions
- Democrats disagree with this.

3) Democrats like birkenstocks (and other open-toed footwear), expensive coffee, Volvos, granola, and dank nugs. 92%

4) Republicans like NASCAR, gumption, pick-up trucks, huntin' things, and six packs of Old Milwaukee. 89%

I could find more examples if you wish, but you can see that Political Science professors think like Democrats, and vise versa. One of you asked what my point was; I think it's pretty obvious. Who knows how to political problems better than Political scientists? Political Scientists are majorily (majorily?!...yikes) Democrat, so that should tell you who the better politicians are in this country.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:51 PM

My macroeconomics book says basically the same thing. Didn't give exact percentages, but it said at least 7 out of 10 agreed with all of those statements.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:03 PM

More pictures:

http://www.cato.org/research/article...en-030728.html
Old 09-18-2005, 11:05 PM

I think in order to answer that question with any degree of fairness, you have to consider which party is in control in Congress (Just in case you've forgotten, it is Congress that actually appropriates federal money.). If I recall correctly, the Democrats controlled the House of Representatives for the entire eight years of Reagan's presidency. They also controlled the Senate for all but the first two years. The Democrats also controlled both houses during Bush sr.'s presidency. The Republicans controlled the House of Representatives from 1994 to today. I believe they also controlled the Senate for most of Clinton's presidency. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the Democratic president, Republican congress combination was a significant factor in the surplus during the Clinton years. Clinton's threat of a veto kept the Republicans from cutting taxes. The Republicans kept spending somewhat under control. Unfortunatlely, the Republican congress doesn't seem to be able to say no to a dangerously spendthrift "conservative" Republican president.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Accepting your argument

[ QUOTE ]
So, how do you measure a president's fiscal policy?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very difficult to do, but facile charts like the one Grey posted don't really illuminate much.

You could pick all kinds of economic benchmarks that make any president look good/bad and then graph a chart over time that spikes/dives during a given president's tenure.

It's not easy to evaluate the fiscal policies of a president except in extremely easy cases like Nixon's foolish price controls or FDR's laughably stupid signing of the Smoot Hawley tariffs. But those clear-cut instances are rare.

Even big deficits are subject to debate. Remember, both Reagan and Bush 4I ran up record-setting deficits only to be followed by a very strong economy under Clinton. Anyone who wants to give Clinton all the credit must engage in voluntary amnesia, because if I remember correctly, the sky was going to fall due to the Reagan/Bush deficits.

So, either the Reagan/Bush deficits were not nearly as bad as some people claimed (and by extension the current ones probably aren't either), or.... Clinton did something miraculous to spur the economy to new heights while maintaining the Reagan/Bush debt burden. That is clearly not the case.

The real answer lies somewhere outside the bounds of the fiscal policies of the white house.

natedogg
Old 09-22-2005, 10:35 PM

"It's very difficult to do, but facile charts like the one Grey posted don't really illuminate much. "

facile, ohhh! big word! another word for it is 'simple', as in if you look at the basic facts of the situation you notice a pattern, and a very likely correlation between some things, like republicans and bad economies and democrats and good economies.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:45 AM

I love how the Republican party is considered the "anti-tax" party. Every time the government spends a dollar they are taxing every single taxpaying American. The democrats just do it up front, while the Republicans make sure there's interest attached as well (at least Reagan and W).

Personally, I support a flat tax and an end to deficit spending except in times of a DECLARED war.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"It's very difficult to do, but facile charts like the one Grey posted don't really illuminate much. "

facile, ohhh! big word! another word for it is 'simple', as in if you look at the basic facts of the situation you notice a pattern, and a very likely correlation between some things, like republicans and bad economies and democrats and good economies.

[/ QUOTE ]

correlation != causation