Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Commerce gonna be nuts this weekend??

Just thought I'd give you guys and update.

My buddy and I got down there last night a little after 8. We decided to try $2/4 to start out. After probably a 10 minute wait I was seated. First orbit or so I was a little nervous and clumsy, but after that I felt right at home. I doubled up real early on, lost some strong draws and a set of Qs, ended the night up $55. My buddy left up $120. This was the first time in a B&M for the both of us.

The players were absolutely horrible. I've read posts on here about how bad they are, but wow, you really have to see it to believe it. Basically any 2 cards at least saw the turn. There was ZERO preflop raising. I heard such gems as "I knew you had the flush, but I gotta call anyway just to keep you honest" or "Man, I can't remember the last time I won with 72o" or "I just had to see the river, you never know"

All in all, it was a blast. I'm defenitely going back, and I"ll be giving $4/8 a try for sure. I wanted to move to it last night, but my table was pretty friendly, we had a good dealer, and before I knew it 1AM had rolled around.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was going to suggest to the original poster that if he fairs well at the $1-$2 online, he should feel perfectly comfortable up to at least the $5-$10 (although you guys out there would have this as a $6-$12 game, yes?).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there's no 5/10 in LA anymore. At the Commerce their 6/12 has dried up a bit compared to a few years ago and largely replaced by the fixed buy no limits ($100, $200, and $400). If playing limit around this level, I'd stick to 4/8, which is usually much more action than the 3/6.

Also, I plan to get out later today to play but if you are playing top section expect the LA clubs to be a bit slow in the middle of a holiday weekend (top section players tend to leave town on holiday weekends). Bottom section should be a bit busier than average.

~ Rick

PS Don't work there anymore but the Bike seems to be doing well with 6/12 and 8/16.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:16 PM

And after you've turned your cards up, don't take your finger off them until you're satisfied that the pot is being pushed to the winning player.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:53 PM

When I left last night at 3:30 am, there were at least 25 tables going in the top section, maybe more.

Anyway, brief report:

Arrived Friday night around 10:30. Put my name on the $9-18 list and chilled at the rail for a bit, looking over the entire low limit section. I noticed the place was really packed, but very quiet and subdued. Not good for gambling. I talked with James the floorman a bit about it and he was kinda surprised it was so quiet and he commented on the lack of names on the boards despite so many people in the room. Saw a guy who looked like an Antonio Esfandiari imposter so I went for a closer look and it actually was him, coaching Shannon Elizabeth at a $100 or $200 NL game. She still is a uber hottie, even in pigtails, cap, and t-shirt. I considered going into a NL game to try to move to her table. But I figured I would just get drunk and rant incoherrently about rocks and rings, so I decided against it Finally got called to a game. Man, this was the tightest $9-18 game I have played at in a long time. I looked around for a better game, and there just wasn't any gambling going on at all. I stayed. I noticed at my table an ultra aggro player I have never lost too was up quite a bit. To make a long story short, he usually bluffs A LOT. But this night he had the goods everytime. Took me for a bit over $300. I was in appx 15 pots he was in during the night and I won one. Thats it, and several of those were heads up. Not good. One regular who I am familiar with commented about how bored he was due to so many pots being heads up and he left simply due to being bored. I left about 2:30am -$326.

I slept all day Saturday from about 6:30 am to 4:00pm. Felt good to sleep that well. Went out and had some dinner, came home and watched some of the Angel game. Hit Commerce around 10pm. The place was a little more active. Got seated at a $9-18 game. Looked around and recognized 5 players at my table. Most of these guys are losing players, but none of them give up much and are probably only losing due to the drop. Not good. I decide to ride it out and see if some new players come in. Soon I am stuck over $200 and buying another rack. Fortunately uber fish soon sit down and I am sitting on a nice litte $200 win. Unfortunately the rest of the night, I slowly bleed chips. It does not help that I get shot down twice with AA and twice with KK. Around 2:30am, a couple of players sort of go to war preflop and on the flop of AAx. I'm not paying much attention until the river comes A and the board is like AA63A. The first player is asking the second player if he has an Ace. The guy has AQ and the first player shows KK. The loser got $7800 and the winner $220 with table share being $372 each. Not bad at all. I slowly bleed back down to my $600 buy in and as soon as I am paid the jackpot share, I tip $10 to the dealer and $10 to a chip runner that is always very nice to me.

Rolled out having not won anything at the $9-18, but the jackpot share took care of my previous day losses. Hopefully I do better tonight. I will probably hit The Bike and play some $6-12 or $8-16. There is a womans tournament there tonight, and most women do not play well. This is not to say that woman CAN'T play well, just that most don't. I would really like to play in a tournament tonight, but the only one that will cost me less than $100 is at Normandie, and I won't play there due to past cheating by the staff during a tournament I played in.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I plan to get out later today to play but if you are playing top section expect the LA clubs to be a bit slow in the middle of a holiday weekend (top section players tend to leave town on holiday weekends). Bottom section should be a bit busier than average.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-04-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All low-limit games are regularly soft and beatable. The 4/8 is infamous for its aggressive play, so there is likelihood of large swings. If you don't get caught up in the frequent preflop caps with KQo, then you'll do fine with a regular tight game. The 3/6 is fun also. The 2/4 is painfully boring.

It is packed every weekend at Commerce, but I think the State Poker Championships are back so it will be extra crowded. The longest wait, however, is still the parking lot. Come on down and have a good time.

[/ QUOTE ]

valet is 2 dollars, plus a 2-5 dollar tip (depending on how happy i am)

very well worth it in my opinion

and if i hear another "don't play here they suck out too much" comment i'm gonna hunt that person down and break their leg.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The loser got $7800 and the winner $220 with table share being $372 each.

[/ QUOTE ]

[nit-mode on]
The winner should have received 20% of the jackpot. So...$2600 if the loser received $7800.
[nit-mode back to auto]
Old 09-04-2005, 07:03 PM

Typo: Should have been $2600